LegacyGT.com

power steering leak.. missing gasket?

I have a power steering leak around the pump/reservoir. I separated the two, and noticed there wasn't any type of gasket in there, even though it looked like there should be - am I missing the gasket?

EDIT: 97 legacy L wagon, 127K miles

DSCN3517.thumb.jpg.8d4b21674f5bc20151ecbe2178b573a4.jpg

DSCN3518.thumb.jpg.f3ed8ed7dca7fde2e8e3e0fba58d8684.jpg

There should be an o ring on the reservoir side. It looks like there might be one there but it looks like it is pushed up and out of the groove. Since you have it all apart you could just pick up a rebuild kit and it should have the o ring that you need plus the main gasket.

So are there 2 o-rings/gaskets that go between reservoir? On the first picture, it looks like there is a groove for a washer - am I just crazy? There is definitely a smaller gasket on the reservoir side - I can see it on the 2nd picture, where the nipple protrudes out of the reservoir.

Is this the rebuild kit you are talking about? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-8832-Power-Steering-Pump/dp/B001KOZ1C2]Amazon.com: Edelmann 8832 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit: Automotive[/ame] Would this have both gaskets? (if both exist?) The other part i found was:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQSubaruQQLegacyQQOES_GenuineQQPower_Steering_Reservoir_GasketQQ19951999QQW0133-1816046.html

I don't have a dealer in the area, and I can't seem to find the schematic/drawing of it anywhere. Opposedforces didn't seem to have it for my generation.

thanks

• 9 months later...
Did you figure this out mine is leaking at the same spot.

No there is only one gasket (the one pictured). There is also a gasket/washer for the bolt attaching the pump to the reservoir. I ended up replacing both and having to buy the whole gasket kit anyway, as mine was still leaking. However, it hasn't leaked since

This should be helpful:

http://nerdsontheinternet.com/subaru-legacy-rebuild-power-steering-pump/

Nice so you just got a gasket kit and it had everything you needed to rebuild the pump and all? Did you use a subaru kit or just one from autozone.

I got the two reservoir gaskets from the dealer, but they don't sell kits (he even tried to tell me the kits don't work so he could sell me a new pump). I had to get the kit from either Amazon or Rockauto. If you google Gates 348414 or Edelmann 8832 you should be able to find them. I think I ended up with the gates kit. I don't think autozone carries them, but you can check.

Also, if I recall correctly, they are for the pump only (they don't include the two gaskets needed between the reservoir and pump).

If I were you, I'd do them all at the same time and maybe replace the hoses next to the pump. The two gaskets are a buck a piece or so and the rebuild kit is around $20

Ok thanks. I do want to rebuild the pump and maybe replace the pressure line also just cause mine is rusty and I want to clean up the engine bay. Maybe looking for a new reservoir for a cleaner look too or somehow paint mine.

Archived