LegacyGT.com

Question about a auto trans

Ok here's the deal, bought a 98 legacy gt 4eat with popped head gaskets.

My question is the car has the engine out and the battery out. Trying to put it in neutral to move it into the shop to put the engine back in, the front axles won't disengage. I've read rumors online that with no power it won't release the parking lock.

It dose feel like the shift cable is still connected.

Thanks for the help

you got me.

hand brake on??

the trans park lock is purely mechanical. shift into park and a hook / pawl engages the gear on the rear of the trans preventing it from turning. it is not electronic. there is an electronic solenoid to release the shifter though.

I started my headgasket project on my '98 LGT 4EAT by leaving the key in the ignition with the shift lever in N. After the engine was removed, the car took a lot of force to roll it on a flat concrete surface, I would say more effort than with a comparably sized 5-speed vehicle in neutral. Make sure you haven't forgotten to remove any wheel chocks hiding behind your tires :)

I started my headgasket project on my '98 LGT 4EAT by leaving the key in the ignition with the shift lever in N. After the engine was removed, the car took a lot of force to roll it on a flat concrete surface, I would say more effort than with a comparably sized 5-speed vehicle in neutral. Make sure you haven't forgotten to remove any wheel chocks hiding behind your tires :)

same here. After finishing my engine build it was time to move the car back to the front of the garage for install. I had to use 2 friends pushing and a twin cam sable pulling just to move the car.

Archived