LegacyGT.com

05 mustang

Well, I finally ran against the 05 mustang last night. we've been talking trash back and forth for a few weeks now at work. I really had my doubts before the run but I easily took him up off the line. He mashed the pedal and it sounded great but no match for AWD . So while he was spinning tires I was headed for 1st shift red line fast! longs story short-- I had him by a bit through 1st-2nd and most of 3rd, but he did catch up and take the lead by about 80-90 mph which is about where we stopped at. with a better launch on his part, the race probably would have been a bit different. The guy was really impressed after running against me and told me he thought I didn't stand a chance in even keeping up. next time we'll try come curves and see how we do. both of us are stock, both manuals. I'm proud...

I wish we would have been able to keep going and really see what the FULL outcome would have been. I'm not claiming to be a great driver but it really does come down to driving ability when cars are even slightly similar in power output. AWD rocks and it shows it situations like this. So far I have run against a 350Z auto, a ? year prelude and now an 05 mustang, all with pretty good results.

I launched at about 3-3500 and rolled onto the throttle more as I came off the clutch. I was shifting at roughly 5000, except in 1st where redline comes fast. didn't see much point in holding to redline in 2nd or 3rd gear. The guy in the stang said he was hitting redline every shift and it sounded like it. My biggest worry was bumping the rev limiter and crapping out my run against him. I'm still pretty happy overall.

Thats great. Hitting the limiter sucks. Ive often thought about shifting earlier in 2nd and 3rd, I wish someone with a gtech would try a few runs and see if its better than going to redline.

Nice, but you might have faired better had you not shifted at only 5000 rpms

Our LGT's have VERY near peak HP all the way to redline.

The new Mustang GT's are FAST cars. Stock for Stock we don't stand a chance

if the Mustang owner knows how to launch his car. Well, we might have a chance

to about 40-50 mph. Then they'll walk on by.

We'd need Stage 2 to keep up after the launch.

Yeah, what he said :)

You figure we need stage II? Stage I performance numbers are pretty much dead on with the mustang, give or take an MPH and with our launch advantage Im sure stage I would be a close race and stage II a pull. Just mho. I drove the MGT and the LGT before buying the LGT and although I didnt go above 85MPH, up to that point the mustang didnt "feel" that much faster/if at all.

How often does anyone launch a car perfectly? Obviously not that often unless your Mario Andretti. You yourself D72 have had good races with "much faster" S4s and here is an instance with a "much faster" MGT. So if you have two race pros launching both cars you might have different results but it seems that the average person driving these cars obviously cant launch so well... thus advantage LGT :D

actually i think 5,000-5,500 might be the best. It is here that our torque and hp meet nicely before torque tapers off. plus you run the risk of the rev limiter. just my 2 cents....i may be wrong.

:D

actually i think 5,000-5,500 might be the best. It is here that our torque and hp meet nicely before torque tapers off. plus you run the risk of the rev limiter. just my 2 cents....i may be wrong.

Someone here must have a gtech and be willing to test this with a few runs...

You figure we need stage II? Stage I performance numbers are pretty much dead on with the mustang, give or take an MPH and with our launch advantage Im sure stage I would be a close race and stage II a pull. Just mho. I drove the MGT and the LGT before buying the LGT and although I didnt go above 85MPH, up to that point the mustang didnt "feel" that much faster/if at all.

How often does anyone launch a car perfectly? Obviously not that often unless your Mario Andretti. You yourself D72 have had good races with "much faster" S4s and here is an instance with a "much faster" MGT. So if you have two race pros launching both cars you might have different results but it seems that the average person driving these cars obviously cant launch so well... thus advantage LGT :D

Well, I have Stage 1 on my car, and have yet to run my buddies buddy in his 05 manual S4 again.

But...MGT's have been trapping in the 102-104 mph range if I'm not mistaken.

With those kinds of trap speeds, our cars need Stage 2 to run with them.

Again, as I stated, we do have a big advantage in the launch, and true, at a strip with a good launch, a LGT MIGHT be able to hold off the MGT to reach the stripe BEFORE it with Stage 1, and probably most definately with Stage 2.

But my point was in a "street" or "passing" run situation, where we lose our

launching advantage, I'm sure the MGT would "jog" away from a stock LGT, "walk" away from a Stage 1 LGT and run even with a Stage 2

But my point was in a "street" or "passing" run situation, where we lose our

launching advantage, I'm sure the MGT would "jog" away from a stock LGT, "walk" away from a Stage 1 LGT and run even with a Stage 2

Sounds right, but I still think back to your "from a roll" runs with the S4....we were all surprised.

I think you are.

Unless you have BIG power drop offs at a certain point, for best times, what you

want to do is shift at an rpm so when you make the shift the rpms fall down into

the heart (near peak) of the power.

If you shift at 5000-5500, the rpms are going to drop too far out of the peak power area.

Shifting at say 6200-6500 rpm, it'll drop the rpms right around the 5000 rpm range and into the peak of the power, giving the engine the opportunity to surge forward with all it's might.

And remember, once you are moving and have the hammer down, especially as speeds climb it's all about horsepower then. Torque had done it's job then and horsepower is taking over to push you to higher speeds.

And in our cars...at least mine with my dyno plot...I made only 7-8 hp less

at redline, than I did at the peak. Shifting AT or just BEFORE redline would

drop our tach down to the heart of the horsepower peak.

Well, I might be taking some of this advice and putting it to use soon, he wants to run again. to many people giving him a hard time about almost losing to a wagon. In all honesty, the farther we went the more of a lead he would have had but some of the guys watching didn't see it that way. they only really saw me take off at launch leaving him behind and him trying to catch up. so when we run again, I'll make some changes and see how I do,. I never really expected to win anyways, just wanted to make a point by running him and its all in good fun.

And then for shits and giggles, do a run from like 15 mph in first gear side by side.

On the count of three, both nail it, see what happens.

Also try from like 40 mph in second. Be safe, find a wide open rarely travelled road with no side streets.

Archived