LegacyGT.com

how do you guys pass emissions test in VA?

joedirtae09

Does Virginia do a sniffer test, or just an OBDII test? If it's just an OBDII test, just get an Accessport or Tactrix cable and delete the P0420 DTC code and you'll be golden.

NOVA is the only place in VA that does the sniffer. Down here we just get the visual....and if you stumble upon the right place the inspector sees two cats if you get what I mean :lol:

You guys have visual too????

Remind me to never move to Virginia!

Only a visual unless you are in NOVA. I've been passing no problems with a single highflow cat on my last two subies for 6+ years. They look to see that there's a cat and that's it..

My buddy with a catless STI simply tack welded a heat shield on his DP. Looks like a cat :lol:.

Only a visual unless you are in NOVA. I've been passing no problems with a single highflow cat on my last two subies for 6+ years. They look to see that there's a cat and that's it..

My buddy with a catless STI simply tack welded a heat shield on his DP. Looks like a cat :lol:.

DAMN...... I live in NOVA.

Can anyone recomend a shop to go to?? Im not above slipping a $20 to pass!!

• 1 month later...

Well, I guess I'm in trouble. I recently moved to Stafford County and it seems like I'm going to have to get the e-test. I've always had my car registered and inspected in WV, where if they check the tread on your tires it's considered a tough inspection.

My car is heavily modded with no cats. Is it worth going to a nearby garage and seeing if they will give me an "offline" e-test? I mean, they can't really report my car if it's not registered here, right?

Ugh!!! I need to figure out a way to keep getting inspections in WV and keep my car registered there. If I can't go this route, can anyone recommend a good hi-flow cat and tuner in the NoVA area?

Thanks all!!

Yeah, but Maryland only has an OBDII test. They plug in a code reader; if you have no codes and all your monitors are ready, you pass.

They are SUPPOSED to do more, though.

They are SUPPOSED to do a visual, and they are SUPPOSED to do a gas cap pressure test. But they don't.

I took my wifes car the other day and the guy walked around the car with the mirror, but never actually stuck it under the car. He looked in the gas flap, but never touched the cap, plugged the scanner in, and that was all.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I took my wifes car the other day and the guy walked around the car with the mirror, but never actually stuck it under the car. He looked in the gas flap, but never touched the cap, plugged the scanner in, and that was all.

Sounds about right....thats what they did for me :rolleyes: Do you not like that ? :confused:

• I Donated

The gas cap test is now only for older cars. I specifically asked about that when I took my LGT in, because they had always done the gas cap test on my 92 Infiniti G20 (and on my 90 Legacy wagon before that, and on my brother's 92 Legacy sedan), but they didn't do the test on my LGT.

I go to the Owings Mills VEIP and they have never even gone around with a mirror or squatted down, let alone popped my hood. And I've taken six cars there at this point, some multiple times.

They have ripped out the treadmills for pre-OBDII cars too... Just an idle tailpipe test for that. They were ripping them out when my G20 was last due for emissions, so I got an automatic 2-year extension FTW! And if I keep the car long enough for it to fail in November 2011, I'll just string them along until I sell the car or register it as historic in August 2012... :lol:

Archived