LegacyGT.com

PO244 and other tuning related issues. Help to understand what is happening

Drew888

BnR HTA-68

I was just noticing again today that I really like how it feels in the higher rpms but when only using 1/4-1/3rd throttle to get there. Is that an open/closed loop thing?

I'm running out of time (family is staying with us) so I'll have to get before logs via the AP on my way there then I'll post up a before/after later tonight.

So max boost just under 3500rpm will give away what the target is set at?

Clever...

I've been hearing from just about everyone (Shamar, Mike, etc) that 21.5 is about right on CA 91.

On a different note, some tuners tune boost for more power and some concentrate on more advance. This is a ...way too general comment but that's just my very simple observation. What does that really mean? Anyway, I'm about to leave and I'll post up logs this evening.

Shawn doesn't know what is causing the studder that I find at low rpm/part throttle (mind you, in Sport Sharp). I have recently discovered that in Sport mode launching at any rpm is smooth as silk. The only other thing on the list that Shawn is having some difficulty with is the popping between shifts (1st through 4th). This wasn't nearly as pronounced on Shamars tune, although still there.

So...

Part throttle/low rpm stumble

popping

PO244

We'll see just what gets cleared up.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

So max boost just under 3500rpm will give away what the target is set at?

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that a lot of tunes have boost targets set too high in low rpms. Tuners to it to get the turbo spooling as well as it can. But the targets need to be low enough so that high gears don't overboost. The targets and the observed boost are 2 very different things. They should, however, be the very similar in 3rd gear (5mt) or 4th gear (6mt).

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Got it thanks.

In just a few days time I'm getting more and more excited to learn more about this...

I'll have logs of the runs before the trip to the tuner in just a few min. I do have to say though that he made some adjustments sent me out and it overboosted on my third attempt to recreate the issue. I returned and after he got in and adjusted on the road it feels pretty good and no longer overboosts. Target was 21.8 (don't ask me how he came to that) and feels just a bit peppier.

I won't have a chance to get "after" logs until later tonight or tomorrow after work.

On a different note, some tuners tune boost for more power and some concentrate on more advance. This is a ...way too general comment but that's just my very simple observation. What does that really mean?

In either case, they're going to set the timing to just below the knock threshold for whatever the boost curve is. It's just that at lower boost levels the knock threshold is higher, so the timing can be advanced further.

So it really just comes down to a question of how much boost the tuner chooses to use. At some point, adding more boost gets you little or no power. There's not an obvious point where power goes down (unless you REALLY overdo it) it's just that you get less additional power with each additional PSI. So, opinions differ about how far to turn it up.

Ok, I realize I need to get you guys (and myself) logs but I cannot if I'm overboosting.

After this past attempt to correct the issue at Church Automotive testing it's back again. Now one reason may be that his employee Danny was tuning this time...dunno, but Sean has thousands of tunes and many magazine articles under his belt. Danny, ...maybe 30 Subies.

That aside, I need to know if opensource tunes are somehow locked down at all? I mean if I switch, can I make changes to a tuners tune? I'll switch this Sat if that is the case.

I overboosted to 23.9 this morning in dry 63* temps on the way to work...NOT Good.

I called them and this time Shawn will be working on my car...the damn drama continues.

Danny was who I was talking to and he said temp should not be the issue and thinks the wastgate may need to be adjusted.

Since their general mechanical ability is unknown, Please help with what I can do on my side. What steps can I take to verify my car is mechanically sound.

Before this fiasco car was running fine under Shamars tune, I get a new motor and have it tuned by Church and now having issues. The only change was 9:2:1 compression.

If something wasn't put together right...not sure I would know. I looked over everything when I got it back and it seems to run very well otherwise. Heck I have 5300mi on it already.

While we are at it, on Shamars tune and now, I have what sounds like air sucking in (as opposed to blowing out) coming from the drivers side which can only be heard when you immediately lift off the throttle after some boost/load. The air noise is brief similar to the BPV. It's a very distict sound and clearly different from the BPV.

The only other minor clue to anything out of the ordinary is the arm to the AVO actuator isn't perfectly straight. I tested the action before installing and it made no difference (it really is only slightly off). Could it be making a difference now? if it started to stick...???

What would a hole in the FMIC piping do? I have two areas that are almost worn through.

I'm going back to Shawn Church this Saturday at noon. Hopfully I'll be as prepared as I can be.

What were today's conditions of the overboost? Gear and rpms?

The WG arm may need to be adjusted. I've never had to touch mine on any of my turbos though. Logs would still probably help rule in or rule out a hardware vs. software (tune) issue.

OS tunes cannot be locked down as far as I know. Sure, you can tweak the tuner's tune. You just shouldn't share or post the whole commercial tune as that is intellectual property.

Check the lines coming off the BPV to see if one is disconnected... doubt it though.

My '05 LGT

I took a phone pic of my Camp2 screen. 3rd gear and 6230rpm.

Just when we think its fixed it seems to happen only when I get more aggressive. IE hard run in 4th, slow down to 3k rpm & shift down to 3rd and wot to 6k...bam!

All lines appear on the surface to be ok and all are ziptied.

When I installed the actuator (an upgrade after the turbo had been installed) I simply followed the instructions that came with it which meant align to the wastegate (closed-I think...no vac) then just another turn to tighten a little then pop it through the hole on the wastgate arm.

What's the point of fixing a not so perfect "tuners tune" if you can't share and get help with it. I'd think if they choose to use O.S. then they know they run that risk. Now if it is fine or something that tuner can fix then he should and the owner of the car would never share. But if I paid good $ and he keeps screwing it up AND I have no hardware issues... that tune will get shared.

What's the point of fixing a not so perfect "tuners tune" if you can't share and get help with it. I'd think if they choose to use O.S. then they know they run that risk. Now if it is fine or something that tuner can fix then he should and the owner of the car would never share. But if I paid good $ and he keeps screwing it up AND I have no hardware issues... that tune will get shared.

Agree completely. Don't share or give away a good tune. If the tune has problems, give the tuner a chance to fix. If still problems, then you've spent $ and time on garbage and now have to clean it up. At that point I think it is fine to post or share... especially since nobody is going to be "stealing" a problem tune. ;)

My '05 LGT

i have also been having this issue on my LGT, i was able to duplicate the issue twice yesterday. i have a 5eat

know facts

1: ambient temp outside was hovering around 40 +/-

2: i was hitting at least 1.4ish bars of boost at full throttle during the sift from 3 to 4

3: i do not have a MBC.

i bought the car used and the way it runs in compared to MY05 wrx with a tune is very similar so i am going to assume that this car has been tuned but i do not have a cobb or the cable so no way to verify other than what i know. took it easy today and the code went away after a couple restarts of the motor.

Quick update,

During all of this I did manage to get under the hood a couple times trying to determine if something mechanically is wrong.

At the beginning of last week (maybe the Fri before, I forget) I complained to Shawn/Danny that after a tuning adjustment it was still overboosting but this time it was more difficult to replicate.

So I get inder the hood on Wed. and this time followed each Vac line more carefully. Nope...nothing, no noise from it either.

I go to Bryans house and talk to him about it and once underhood it was painfully obvious...friggin vac line to the wastegate was almost completely tore off at the EBCS. No way to miss this one.

So what I failed to do was to remove the vac line and bend/twist it under light to check it.

Anyway, got to Church's on Saturday and they graciously put it on the dyno wanting to make sure I was very happy with their tune. They could have easily just road tuned/checked their previous tune but since controlling the boost was a bit difficult that last time they had to be sure.

From what little I learned talking to you guys and some reading I not only have the thing running right it's also running much better than it was.

I asked to lower the fuel ratio to closer to 10.9-11 after 6k, lower boost to 21psi and go from there. The result was stronger midrange, and boost that hits 200rpm sooner. Tune is liquid smooth, very linear, and now feels like I wanted it to.

Very pleased...Another lesson learned is that Shawn Church knows what he's doing. Danny tuned it most of the time and although pleased with his ability...he's still a tiny bit behind Shawn. Last saturday I had them both tuning it and cannot believe the difference.

/thread

You guys are awesome! Now when time permits I'll be hanging out on RR and picking up a cable ;)

Anyway, got to Church's on Saturday and they graciously put it on the dyno wanting to make sure I was very happy with their tune. They could have easily just road tuned/checked their previous tune but since controlling the boost was a bit difficult that last time they had to be sure.

Hey so you're the reason we had to sit around for a few hours waiting to get on the dyno ;)

This is Peter from AQ, glad it all worked out. The sti we had there gained a good 30whp with the meth and ended up at 402whp/425wtq. I think with a bigger intake, stiffer WG spring, and 3-port BCS it would have made a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Any guesses as to why my '06 specB keeps giving me the 'ol p0244?

I recently purchased this amazing car only to get shut down every time I open it up.

I dunno a ton about cars but am learning. As far as I can tell it's completely stock.

During moderate acceleration (highway entrance, passing) my wastegate solenoid pops, and I get the code. Replaced the solenoid, but that didn't fix it.

Restrictor pill? Did its previous owner mess with the boost targets?

Any thoughts, comments, ideas are appreciated!

Archived