LegacyGT.com

Short Throw Shifter Option

Hey Guys, I plan on getting a Legacy GT in a few weeks and I was just wondering what all of you thought of the 5MT Short Throw shifter. This will be my first manual transmission car and I am wondering if the shifter is worth the extra $$? What do you guys think? Thanks

If it's your first, I'd stick with the normal shifter. The quick shifter will have shorter throws, but that also means it's more likely for you to mis-shift. Perhaps give yourself a few months or year to get used to shifting. The quick shifter is very easy to install yourself.

The Subaru short shifter is a very well thought-out bit of kit that won't affect the potential for mis-shifts. It might, however, add a notchiness that you might not like. Try one before you buy. Keep in mind that short shifters are simply a feel mod. They don't in fact change the speed at which the transmission does its thing, just the lever throw. I, frankly, were I after improving shifter feel, would start with firmer bushings in the stock unit before adding a short-throw. Kevin

Archived