LegacyGT.com

Rear Differiantal drain plug help?!

So I went out today to tackle the job of replacing the Rear Differential Fluid on my 4EAT.

Got the fill plug out without much effort. (SCORE!) Then I go to the drain plug. Well no luck. It wasn't a socket type plug?. So I used a 1/2"(?) drive ratchet and just stuck it in there (this is what I did on the fill plug as well)

Tons of trying and using a rigged up breaker bar. It started to round out the corners of the square.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz223/Baddog909/IMG00548-20110108-1414.jpg

It didn't budge. So anyone got an idea for me? If I get it off I am going to get a replacement (new).

Or I was going to get a siphon tool and open up the fill plug again and drain all the old fluid out. Good or bad idea?

Should also mention that I did try using a torch and penetrating sprays. PB Blaster

I think the previous owner or someone overtorqued the drain plug.

Anyways just need help.

Lol, to break mine loose, I had to use an 18" breaker bar and then slipped a 5-foot-long metal pipe over that and fought with it. It's incredible how tight they get, lol.

Same here. I love my 5 foot pipe. Because of it I've gotten away with not having air tools for years.

I couldn't get mine loose on my 98 and paid someone to do it for me. I haven't tried my 06 yet

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I got mine loose using a jack. I put the socket wrench at about 4:00 and the jack under the end of the wrench and started jacking. It lifted the body of the car up about 3" before the bolt broke loose. This is a great way to loosen stubborn bolts under the car, as long as the bolts are parallel to the ground.

Luckily, mine came out with the use of a 3 foot ratchet driver. P.B and a couple light whacks with a dead-blow hammer and a 1/2" socket extension. I then took the plug against the bench mount wire wheel, cause it was a bit rusty (Ohio fer ya!) which cleaned it up nicely. I put it back in with anti-seize. Grease the thread edges so the salt won't re-rust it. Synthetic in both manual trans and rear differential.

Archived