LegacyGT.com

Podcasting??? Anybody

Driver72

know what it really is?

I have Sirius and have heard about the "Podcasting" deal they've

struck with Adam Curry (those of you above the age 25 or so will remember

him as one of MTV's original VJ's from the early to mid 80's).

I've never listened or tuned into or even HEARD of podcasting until

the Sirius deal.

Anybody know what's up with it?

Here's a link to the Sirius/Podcasting thing:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1115038974898

I'm going to tune in tonight if I can, but wanted to know what people

who've listened to Podcasting before think? Seems REALLY popular.

Podcasting is a fairly exciting development in that it allows people and organizations to cheaply "broadcast" audio (music, talk, commentary, etc.) to a large, global audience. By installing podcast software on your computer, you can download selected podcasts on a regular basis by "subscribing" to them. You can then either listen on your computer or transfer the podcasts to an iPod or other portable mp3 player. Some podcasters provide regular updates to their programs (e.g., several NPR broadcasts are updated daily) while others are less frequent.

I use iPodder software. I can't really comment on how good the software is relative to others as it's the only one I've used. It is pretty seamless in it's integration with iTunes and the iPod.

The biggest challenge is finding good quality podcasts that you are interested in to subscribe to. I understand that the show Adam Curry is doing on Sirius will essentially be a "best of" type thing where he plays selections from a variety of podcasts found on the internet. The best and worst thing about podcasting is that virtually anyone with a computer and a microphone can set up podcasts. This means that there is a tremendous amount of diverse content out there but that it is very difficult to find what you're looking for. The Adam Curry show is supposed to help highlight specific podcasts. If you like what you hear from one of the podcasters featured in the show, you can then go to your computer and "subscribe" to it so that you will automatically receive future podcasts.

I hope this helps. You should have little trouble finding more information (and podcast subscription software for download) on the internet. Here's a start: http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php

Thanks, I guess at 33 I'm the last of the "old" tech generation.

I still primarily listen to CD's and Sirius Sat. Rad. now.

I've never gotten MP3's, IPod's or any of that jazz yet.

Just seems nowadays, just as you think you have the most

up to date thing...bam along comes something else (better).

Oh, well, I'll just have to tune into Channel 148 on Sirius tonight

between 6-10 pm as it's the premiere of the Podcasting on

Sirius and see how it goes.

Well at 31 I'm old enough to remember Adam Curry with the long hair, t-shirt and sport jacked with rolled up sleaves, which makes me too old to understand exactly what sort of synergies there are between podcasting and satellite radio but I'm sure you'll find out tonight.

Still, I'm a big believer in podcasting and portable music players. It's great to be able to download customized audio content and listen whenever/wherever you want. Well, anywhere but in my Legacy GT. If only there were a reasonable way to get the iPod connected...

Archived