LegacyGT.com

Rear axle options for an r180 in LGT?

slacks

This seems to give no clear answer but I'm looking to clear up if the stock LGT axles will fit with the r180 rear. Some threads say they do and some say to swap out for spec b axles or custom ones.

Prepping the rebuild a 6mt I've inherited and slap it in soon :rolleyes:. Blown front and center diff so once they're replaced this is getting thrown in.

you need 07-09 spec b axles. they have r180 fitment at the rear diff, and r160 at the hubs. this enables you to keep your rear brakes/hubs. your front axles will fit, depending on what year tranny you get

No it doesn't... the transmission i have has a blown center diff :p. Somebody had a little too much fun and blew up the front ring and pinion and destroyed the center differential too haha. The warranty police let him get away with murder.

Thanks for the reply too. I figured I would need at least r180 stubs

you need 07-09 spec b axles. they have r180 fitment at the rear diff, and r160 at the hubs. this enables you to keep your rear brakes/hubs. your front axles will fit, depending on what year tranny you get

The front axles will fit any 04-07, and probably 08-current 6-speed transmissions.

your only options for off the shelf rear axles is 07-09 Spec B. expect to pay between $300-375 a pop. i personally got mine from myimportparts.com for just under $3, like $295 or something.

I did some research while at work (stealership slave :p) and compared part numbers between the inner joint kits and the actual outer joint with shafts and it turns out the only difference between the GT/2.5i/3.0R models and the spec b comes down to the inner joints which can be bought as a kit for a little over $100 a piece. I'll try and go that route and just make frankenstein axles instead. Thanks for the input guys!

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_12/suspension_and_axle/rear_axle/illustration_2/

you'd be looking at #4 the DOJ kit. the parts guy i work with said it comes complete with the new joint and boot but i'll double check tomorrow when i get in. but i can confirm between our parts catalog and opposed forces that the axle shaft itself and the outer CV joint are the same between all models. just different inner doj's :]

yes, very interested as well.. good to know it would cost ~$200 rather than the ~$600 i spent :) but i also sold my rear axles / 3.90 diff so i guess that offset the cost..

here's the price, from myimportparts.com

Item Number MSRP Price

28492AG03B $151.68 $107.39

I'll keep some posts going with this build. I managed to get a blown 07 sti trans that needs a new ring/pinion and center diff. So as soon as i do the ring and pinion i'll slap a spec b center diff in it and start piecing the swap together.

sti dccd units are over $2000 at my discount :eek: and over $2500 new over the counter! ridiculous!

Archived