LegacyGT.com

50/50 mod

Sooooo im really really not looking forward to the dry pavement coming summer because I will be peeling out endlessly with the 90/10.

Im wondering if instead of doing the full on 2 100ohm and 2 50 ohm, I could make it more like 70/30 but letting more voltage through.... ?????????

Has it been done? can it be I guess is the more important question!

so apparently you have installed a switch that give you a locked 50/50 split, right?

you don't want to turn it off for the non-snow times so you are wondering if you can add different resistors to ''moderate'' you power split.

there is a way to moderate the power split front to rear, it is called the TCU it's a computer and it came with your car. :D

seriously, i have never heard of an AWD subaru ''peeling out'' unless the FWD fuse was in place. the 90/10 split doesn't have enough torque on dry pavement to spin the tires. plus as soon as it spins the rears kick in, if it is working properly.

changing resistor will do nothing. they just keep the circuit from burning up your switch, nothing to regulate the power split.

the power split is regulated by the TCU cycling the power to the duty-c solenoid on and off multiple times a minute. the rate of the on/off is what determines the power split, 90/10 70/30 or 50/50.

your switch kills the power to the duty c (which then sends full AT fluid power to the transfer clutch )and gives you locked 50/50 split. (when the FWD fuse is in place it powers the duty c all the time bleeding off the AT fluid pressure giving you a 100/0 split or FWD. if you want to ''peel out'' put the fuse in and have at it.)

hope this helps.

you don't have a fuse in your FWD holder do you? if so when you turn off your 50/50 mod the car would revert to FWD. and then it would peel out.

i searched and read some of your earlier post, i guess maybe a turboed ej22 could ''peel out'' even with an AWD 90/10 split. (i missed the turbo part of your car description, all i saw was 1999 legacy wagon.)

wide open throttle is supposed to max out the awd split. i'm not sure it hits 50/50, but maybe 60/40?

manually shifting into ''1'' will max it out as well. (reverse and ''2'' as well but neither of them addresses your situation.)

maybe a paddle lever on the column or steering wheel similar to the cruise control. move the lever, 50/50 locked, release the lever back to normal driving.

it's too bad you didn't start with a 98 legacy, then you could use the ej22t block, they have a closed deck. (maybe still can but 99s are phase 2 so i'm not sure.) you could also use the ej22t heads and drill the passenger side head for the needed EGR. bolt on the 98 intake and you are ready to go.

but again, since your is a 99 i don't really know.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99075-4eat-diff-lock-switch-handbrake-mod-torquemada-lite.html

I dont know the difference between a TCM and a TCU. Traction control module and torque control unit...?

I know my heads suck.. Would phase one dohc fit and be better than my dinky sohc's? I only ask because I have some already.

Are the ej22 short blocks the same from obd1 to obd2?

Thanks for the response!

Archived