LegacyGT.com

Changing tranny fluid oil in my wifes 2007 outback XT

SCRAPPYDO

Okay, I have just turned 40k on my wifes 2007 outback XT. This is my first automatic subaru, and I have never done a fluid filter change on one before. First I hear that there is two types of filters, one that screws on like an oil filter, and another that goes inside the pan like an old Chevy TH350 tranny.

I was going to take it to the dealer, but that is such a hassle. I would rather to it myself. Is this something that can be done. Or will I have to drain it, fill it, drive it, drain it again, etc. Any pics of the filter and any recommendations?

I saw a few people on subaruoutback.org who had some DIY methods of a flush, but they all looked complicated to me so I just drained, filled, drove, repeat a few times with my 98. It's only slightly more difficult than an oil change in regards to adding fluid as you'll need a long skinny funnel.

Looking under the car will tell you if the tranny has an external filter. On an outback it's easy.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

SOA say drain and fill

Remove the transmission bolt drain the fluid. Replace the crush washer and bolt. Fill the transmission fluid - best to have a long hose like you said to fill it up. The filter is a non serviceable part so it does not need to be changed. The legacys the filter is hidden by the battery

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Drain and fill is all you need, there is a spin on filter behind the battery inside the fender well. Make sure you use J-Matic type or Subaru HP oil. Dexron II or III is OK for top offs but a service you should use the other stuff.

You need an 8mm hex socket to get the drain plug out.

the screw on filter is beside the battery ..

oops saw they said it already ..

any ways .. fluid change .. meh ..

if you want to do it right pull off a cooler line under the rad run let it drain out .. and fill the tranny and then that will drain out .. the idea is sort of the like kidney dialisys what gets pushed out of the cooler like you dump new oil in..

you can buy these special jug bucket thing with a diaphram and it pushes new oil as the old oil is pushed out. but its jsut a stupid gimick. you can pump the auto tranny dry, as long as you don't then start reving the engine. and put some oil back in right away.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived