LegacyGT.com

Need Advise! Engine swap from DOHC to SOHC

Im on the verge of buying a ej25 SOHC engine to replace my engine with a burnt valve. I will be getting it from a friend who replaced her's with a 07sti engine and drivetrain so she did it for the hell of it.

My question is swapping it from my DOHC platform what will be some hurdles I will run into and if you have solutions for those hurdles that would be awesome too!

Some that I came up with are

-will i need the ecu or can i use mine

-what will i do about the maf to map situation

-what will hook up and what wont

-what will i run into?

Thanks in advance!

chances are you will not be able to use your own ECU and the wiring will be very different. Mechanically everything should fit together very easily but the electrical will not be plug and play. I recently completed my own project using a JDM engine to replace my blown ej25d and ran into these problems. My solution was to frankenstein the 2 engines together using the JDM block and the USDM heads. Unfortunately this won't be an option for you for multiple reasons.

My suggestion is that unless you have experience with wiring and engine management you may be far better off pulling your EJ25D, take it apart, spend 400$ at the machine shop to rebuild the heads, and put it all back together (with new gaskets of course). In the end this will be considerably easier (installation will be plug and play), will require far less research and headache, and you'll be rocking a much healthier engine on a brand new build. With gaskets and machine work you can get away with this for 600-700$

Yeah I been wanting to go that way to rebuild but I dont have time for my car to sit and need it for my daily.

200 bucks for an engine ecu, and drivetrain is a little too much of a steal for me not to install it. lol Im having a subaru shop install it, I'm am basicly asking for anything that will be tricky and could delay that i will help prevent early. a whille ago i looked at the pin outs for both DOHC and SOHC and they are close to the same (i started getting delirious looking at both diagrams).

If there is too many complications with this engine I will get a jdm engine and have the shop install it. (they said it will be up and running in two days)

The RS motor will take a lot to make it work. To make it work correctly you will need the RS ECU and that means splicing everything in your dash and engine bay together. It would be the same as doing a 04 STi swap. If the car still runs I would find a EJ25 for cheap with a spun bearing or burnt valve and rebuild it. You would have the motor apart in a day and have the parts to the machine shop. Another day to reassemble and then a day to swap. Realistically if you started on a weekend and had the motor to the machine shop by monday, you could have it built and installed before monday the next week.

I don't blame you if you do buy it for that price lol, its a killer deal. But for that motor it isnt realistic for no real gains.

If you were closer to portland I know someone who could do your heads in a day.

Good luck

ecu is no problem, i know bolting up is no problem, wiring will probally be my challenge, i probally wont have to splice everything but a good amount, tomorrow I will call up the shop and ask them what they think.

I just really want this engine in my car, hahaha engine has 125k on it, timing belt done at 105k 110k service done 120k service done and has nothing but mobi1 synthetic in it since it was bought.

that would be awesome to do, i mean my engine right now has a spun bearing and a burnt valve and the shit still starts up and wants to go!! hahaha love my car

Well my thing is the ECus will have a different plug, meaning everything will have to be spliced. Can you get your hands on the RS wiring harness? If not that adds a whole nother level of difficulty.

Seeing how much time people put into a WRX or STi swap just scares me lol. That motor would be sex to have in your car though. You can't ask for a better motor to swap just sucks with the wiring.

Who are you having do the work?

I cant get my hands on the harness as the harness is being used for the RS so it would be me splicing into my harness. UGHHHH Sorta wanna go justa another ej25D as that could be installed faster than iono.

I am having a shop called DB Tuned in Sacramento,Ca their a Subaru shop and a good friend of mine is going to help me out up there.

I would loooooooooovvvveee to have a wrx swap in here, but then i would want sooo many other things such as a 6spd, diff, 5x114 bolt pattern i would want everything to change about the car. But since i am a full time college student with a full time job, i find it quite immposible right now, maybe when im old and i have every model legacy in white buahahaha

we have ej22t's in calli, actually last week i put a note on an old school turbo lego driven by some old lady, i told her if she ever thinks about selling it, i'd buy it off her hands....But then again i cant put an ej22t in my car as if i was todo an engine swap i have to take the motor from the same year or higher model of my car. (i just know its a calli law i dont know about other states)

Thats what I meant about the ej22t swap lol. I know what you mean about the wrx swap. These is a rolled 04 wrx with 54k for $1800 complete with motor, interior and drive train undamaged for the most part. If I wasnt a full time student I would sell my moped and to this in a heart beat.

One other way of doing it may be to mate the DOHC electrical with the SOHC engine.

I suppose that the cam sensors may be a problem. Just check first if that's a way to go.

Of course it may not be possible, so just compare sensors and locations first as well as manifolds and similar stuff. And don't forget to compare the timing of the cam sensors.

May or may not work, but if it works then you won't have to worry about custom splicing of the wires which can cause secondary headaches.

453747.png

Archived