LegacyGT.com

cobb accessport

lucas112

i have searched and i cant find the answer to my questions

Does the accessport come with all the maps already on it? Do i have to pay extra for maps like stage 1 or stage 2? I am new to this thing and i want a tune for more power. I have read about infamous tunes and opensource tunes, but do they download to the accessport or do i have to use a laptop?

is a protune a lot better? and how would i get one?

Protunes are commonly referred to a tune you get when you take your car to a tuner and they use a dynamometer (commonly referred to as a "dyno") to measure the output of your engine and they create a map for you while you wait. A tuner can also "road tune" without a "dyno". I think this probably counts as a protune as well.

The "remote tune" m sprank is referring to is also commonly referred to as an "e-tune" where you use the engine logging function of the AccessPort (AP for short), or a laptop (see below), to record a number of engine parameters while doing "pulls" on the road (they also do "pulls" on the dyno). These pulls are usually 3rd gear runs from 2000 rpms to redline (or when you hit the rev limiter ;) ).

Another tuning method that is very popular is referred to as "open source tuning". With this method you use a laptop or netbook connected to your car using either a Tactrix cable (http://www.tactrix.com) or vag-com cable and using open source software from rom raider (http://www.romraider.com).

Hope that clears up some of the terminology for you. There is TONS of information here on all this and while it may seem a bit overwhelming, take your time to at least learn the basic terminology.

As for what's better, a custom tune (pro, road or e-tune) will always be better (safer and more powerful) than an off the shelf (OTS) tune because OTS tunes have to work for EVERY Legacy out there while a custom tune is, well, custom. :lol: :lol: ;)

Cheers!

Pro-tune can be either a dyno tune, street tune, or both. Pro-tune basically means in-person, on the spot, so it is not specifically tied into once procedure or the other.

Don't let the thought of e-tunes discourage you, personally I think they can be just as good as a pro-tune, depending on the tuner.

There is no question an e-tune or pro-tune is better. An off-the-shelf tune is a generic tune, meant to be relatively safe for a wide range of cars operating in a wide range of conditions. With an OTS tune, a car will most likely not run at it's full potential and can be problematic as well (unsafe).

I'm new to this as well and have been reading up on all this tuning stuff.

So basically the Cobb AP takes the place of providing your own laptop and using romraider? Also the AP comes with Cobbs OTS maps whereas you must purchase protune or e-tune maps individually with opensource? How hard is it to hook up a Tactrix cable compared to an AP?

sorry for such noob questions, but like lucas112 I'm new to this and trying to figure out what the best way to go is. Thanks.

Hooking up a Tactrix cable is the same as hooking up the Cobb OBD2 cable.

There is no best way. There is the Cobb way, and the open source way.

One is cheap, the other not so much.

One is pretty much bug free, the other not so much.

One is (still) supported, the other not so much.

You can datalog with the Accessport, which is roughly the size of a pack of cigs, or you can datalog by lugging your laptop around.

I use and have used both solutions. The only reason I used ROMRaider in the first place to datalog is because Cobb did not come even close to the amount of parameters, and missing key ones. Now that it has them, I have no reason to ever put my laptop in my car if all I am doing is datalogging.

In other words, you pay for convenience and support.

Archived