LegacyGT.com

OBD-II PID Information

Alright, well Christmas is typically my ask-for-some-silly-gadget-that's-useful-but-not-quite-useful-enough-to-justify-the-price event... and so I now own a pretty nifty Bluetooth OBDKey which will allow me to plug into anyone's car much more easily to diagnose issues via my Android Phone.

Plugging into my dad's 05 Audi results in tons of data being read, as does plugging into my mom's 02 Mitsubishi. However, my 98 Outback doesn't fare quite as well. There is definitely a lot of data that can be read by the reader, and I CAN see all of this with the PC app that was supplied. However, the Torque app on Android I guess doesn't support as many PIDs and so I only get "Engine Load," and "Coolant Temp" data after it scans the ECU and that's it. I managed for a split second to get more data, possibly when I went from my dad's Audi right back to my car and perhaps some of his PIDs carried over, but then it vanished.

So, long story short, Torque offers you a way to manually enter more PIDs (hex codes and all that) and I was curious if anyone had access to that information, or any way to share it with me. Is it possible to read the raw data from the OBD port and determine the PID info that way? Is it in the factory service manual in an appendix? I've looked everywhere and can't find it but surely someone with a more advanced ScanTool and software would be able to help me out? Thanks in advance to anyone with any info.

Older cars generally have less information presented.

But I think that you should look at the Tactrix cable and RomRaider if you want to get the most information. The Subies has some custom data too which a generic tool may not be able to access.

453747.png

I have a program from "AutoIngenuity" Or maybe it's Autoengineuity" for my Ford diesels and Chevrolet work vehicles With "enhanced Diagnostics. It's a pc program and works in real time and will give you real time info on anything the computer reads. A bit pricey as it is vehicle specific. Have not looked into a CD for my Subies yet. Onec you download it to your pc you don't have to use the cd everytime but it does have a vehicle specific connector that is where they keep you from going to another brand besides the program. But an awsome tool.

• 3 months later...
For the subies you just need the Tactrix OBD-II cable, Romraider and EcuFlash.

Romraider and EcuFlash can be downloaded for free. The cable costs $169 and can be found here:

http://www.tactrix.com/

Not to bust balls, but your response isnt helping much. Most people know data can be logged via an expensive tactrix cable, I think many people , myself and the OP included, are looking for more convenient, cheaper options. These bluetooth elm327 scanners + Torque on the droid show a lot of promise.

I know all OBD II compliant cars ('96 and newer) can support at least basic sensor data. I've been plugging my laptop + elm327 usb scanner + scantool.net or PCMScan software for years, and I can tell you EVERY car does have these sensors and they can absolutley be read through OBD II..

That said, I am on a mission to track down the PID list for Subaru so that I can use Torque to read more sensors for more cars. Additionally, reading the "monitor" status is critical, as it shows if a car is ready for inspection or not. My PC based software can show this but so far I can not figure it out with Torque on my Droid.

I have the source code for scantool.net but not PCMScan.. I'll try to get in and read the PID list but I don't think I'll be able to for PCMScan, unless it shows up in the raw data display which is entirely possible. I will post back if I find anything worthwhile.

That said, I am on a mission to track down the PID list for Subaru so that I can use Torque to read more sensors for more cars. Additionally, reading the "monitor" status is critical, as it shows if a car is ready for inspection or not. My PC based software can show this but so far I can not figure it out with Torque on my Droid.

I have the source code for scantool.net but not PCMScan.. I'll try to get in and read the PID list but I don't think I'll be able to for PCMScan, unless it shows up in the raw data display which is entirely possible. I will post back if I find anything worthwhile.

Definitely hope you can find something useful. It's so irritating that I have the ability to do all this stuff on my phone, and it only works on everyone's car but mine, lol, fail.

• 4 months later...

Archived