LegacyGT.com

Transmission whine/ noise while in gear

spartan

I am looking to get some help deciding whether or not I need to take my car in to a trans shop/ subaru to get diagnosed. Here are the important facts:

-Car has 91k on (as far as I know) stock clutch and flywheel.

-Just changed trans fluid with supertech 75w90 synthetic blend (previously extra s), at the same time I installed front and rear shifter bushings.

Prolem: High pitched whine while in 5th gear between 54-58 mph. It doesn't make the noise at a lower speed or higher speed, or in any other gear. Within that range it is a noticable change in pitch and loudness. The noise is only present when on partial- full throttle, letting off quiets the noise. Also, the noise was not as noticable before changing the gear oil/ bushings.

Any ideas/ should this be something that I have looked at right away?

I personally wouldn't worry about that. Since you mentioned it starting right after a gear oil change, I'd attribute it to that and / or a vibration caused by the new bushings.

If you are really worried about it, I'd take it to a transmission shop before I'd take it to subaru. You're more likely to get an accurate diagnosis from them (based on my experience with local dealers at least)

• 2 months later...
Mine makes the same noise around the same speed, and goes away at a higher speed, did you figure anything out on the noise? mine has always made the noise, got the car in june 2010 with 75k now it has 86k the noise has remained the same.

Archived