LegacyGT.com

2007 ecu in 2008?

wizkerbizket

There is no way for the dealer to immediately or easily spot an ECU that has been reprogrammed. All you have to do is return the stock map on it, which is a process that is both easier and cheaper than swapping out ECUs. In fact, if the dealer sees the ECUID as being an 07 on a different year vehicle, it will more than likely prompt them to either

a) investigate things further and you'll get in more trouble

and/or

b) deny warranty because you will not have proper documentation of the swap being done, moreso for legit reasons

As such, the risk of voiding your warranty is MUCH greater by doing what you are trying to do. In other words, you're making it more likely. The argument for blanket warranty coverage becomes much more easier for the dealer since we're talking about the ECU, the part that controls how the engine functions.

When you visit the dealer, all you have to do is put the ECU back in it's stock mode. They don't have time to dick with it to begin with if you go there for a completely unrelated issue.

Thanks for the info Fishbone, i guess i didn't understand what the last guy was saying and was looking for clarification. I thought on the extra ecu was to have the 07 tuned ect. and have the oem ecu to swap in/out as necessary. over kill maybe?

I think it is overkill. I would not worry about it. Like I said, the dealer would have to have a Subaru master tech investigate the ECU and/or send it in. They won't waste that amount of time (time is money) unless they'd have a pretty dang big warranty claim on their hands and a strong indicator you tuned it. There is a thread on here about it, basically they would have to see how many times the ECU has been re-written and somebody tried to do that (I forget the details) and they weren't able to successfully extract that info. When you flash the stock map on the ECU and unmarry the Accessport, as far as the dealer is concerned the ECU is stock and has never been programmed. That is all they see.

The ECU identifies itself, you can see this even using Learning View. It will pop up as a different year ECU and will give the Subaru tech pause.

Archived