LegacyGT.com

2008 legacy GT potential turbo problem?

First time poster...trying to figure out if I should be worried or not.

I just purchased a certified 2008 legacy gt (automatic) on December 20th. I also purchased the extended warranty from subaru...covering me for up to 100,000 miles seemingly bumper to bumper. Current mileage on the car is about 18800. Over the last couple of days I have noticed that the car is making a whining noise when I accelerate. The noise is hard to describe but it sounds like something may be wrong. The first few days I had the car, there was no noticeable noise. I let the car warm up every time before I drive it, even when it is fully warmed up the noise occurs. The car also seems to be "jerking" when I am accelerating slowly when shifting, this also happens from time to time when coming to a stop from a slow speed. Any insight as to what might be wrong would be appreciated. I tried calling the dealership but they are closed for the night. Someone calm me down please!

If this is your first turbo car then you're probably just not accustomed to the sound of a spooling turbo. On a stock LGT it's relatively faint, but still audible. The jerking is normal too. It's a result of the stock tune and 5EAT transmission. If you get a stage1 reflash it will completely get rid of the stutter and give you a much nicer powerband. You might try going to the dealership and asking if they have an updated reflash for the car too. You're fine. The car is fine. Don't worry.

The car also seems to be "jerking" when I am accelerating slowly when shifting, this also happens from time to time when coming to a stop from a slow speed.

I bought an 08 Legacy GT auto on December 12th and my car does the stutter thing every once in awhile too. I have found what McMaster is saying is absolutely correct as I have read many others on this forum describing this issue and it being fixed with a tune :)

You have several options. The easiest and most expensive is the Cobb Accessport. You could also find a Subaru tuner in your area. They are everywhere and usually charge $100 give or take for an open source road tune. The third and least expensive option would be to buy a Tactrix cable, download romraider/ecu flash, and get a basic understanding of the software. Then you can find OTS stage 1 and 2 maps for the Legacy out there on the interwebs and reflash the car yourself.

I got my car with 700 miles and it was smooth as butter until around 15,000 miles. That jerking when you slow down started and my brakes started to shake. I had my brakes turned twice and the shake never went away. I got a set of Centric for the fronts and no more shake. I also changed the break pad with Hawk HPS. Better bite with a little more break dust, but not bad at all if you wash your car at least once every two weeks.

I had a rattle somewhere around my arm rest. I have the extension and found out that it was the push button for the extension. I wrapped it in cf wrap and no more rattle.

You have several options. The easiest and most expensive is the Cobb Accessport. You could also find a Subaru tuner in your area. They are everywhere and usually charge $100 give or take for an open source road tune. The third and least expensive option would be to buy a Tactrix cable, download romraider/ecu flash, and get a basic understanding of the software. Then you can find OTS stage 1 and 2 maps for the Legacy out there on the interwebs and reflash the car yourself.

ok, if I can find a tuner, what do I need to tell him? "A tune to make my transmission slutter go away"?..

sorry, I'm new to this tuning area.. my car is bone stock and the jerking is so annoying

ok, if I can find a tuner, what do I need to tell him? "A tune to make my transmission slutter go away"?..

sorry, I'm new to this tuning area.. my car is bone stock and the jerking is so annoying

What you want is a stage 1 tune. You will gain some hp/tq and have a more linear power curve. The stutter is a result of the factory tune and will disappear with a reflash.

Archived