LegacyGT.com

Looking at a modded 05 GT

LGTTusch

So I've been interested in Legacies for a while but just now looking seriously (since my car bit the dust!) I am looking at one in particular. It's a 2005 atlantic blue 5MT with 88,577 miles on it. The body and the interior are in fantastic condition.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p191/Tusch/18218759571290332968IM1MAIN565x421_A562x421.jpg?t=1293133328

It's about an hour away but I just went down for a test drive last weekend. It is modded but since I haven't owned one before I can't quite tell everything that has been done to it, plus it was late at night when I checked it out in person. The first big obstacle is that it has a blown turbo. The dealer will be replacing that before I purchase, but is there anything that could be related I should ask about or need to know?

Mods I know of: Perrin TMIC, BOV but didn't see what brand, rims which I'm thinking are 18", lowered and exhaust.

The car is way too low for me, its riding on the ground and there's just not enough ground clearance for me. Not sure what it is lowered with in terms of struts, springs or coilovers but I'd like to raise it up a bit. I will try to get the dealer to send me some pictures of the suspension when they do the turbo replacement to see if anyone can identify it and suggest how I should raise it up.

The exhaust is also just too loud to be practical for me. didn't get to see what type of exhaust it was either. I'd either need to replace it if it is an actual system or have a shop add on some decent mufflers if it is a muffler delete.

If there's any info I should ask about or get pictures of let me know. Also, they were asking 12,995 but have lowered the price to 11,995 and that includes them replacing the turbo prior to me buying it. Should I offer less than that? I also think the timing belt and other services may need to be done soon or now, anything specifically I should look at?

i dont know about you

i'd stay away from cars with blown turbo, it could have screwed up the engine pretty bad if the bits from turbo go into the block

im pretty sure the car is lowered on coils because springs dont go that low, if it's coils it should be adjustable to raise it back up

i dont like the asking price, but if you really like the car, get the dealer to give you some sort of warranty on it?

• I Donated
IMO, that price is way too high for something with potential longer-term mechanical problems. Is it a dealer or a private seller? I got my LGT (completely stock, although that seems to be a good thing in this situation) for under $10,000 with almost identical miles. It was perfect mechanically at the time, although the engine spun a bearing 3.5 months later.

except in very rare circumstances mods make a car worth less, not more on a dealer lot. Since all the mods are things you want to replace/ dont like (suspension, exaust etc) and that with those mods it was probably driven very hard.

I'd try to find a stocker for 10k and buy the exact mods you want.

So my options are:

-Get them to lower the asking price to XX,XXX with a new/replaced turbo and with a warranty hopefully.

-Walk away.

To be honest, I am having a hard time finding many Legacies in this price range with a 5MT anywhere near me. There is another a couple hours away but won't be available for sale (or much information frankly) for another week or two.

I was certainly leaning towards coilovers as far as what the suspension was lowered on, but that comment certainly helped convince me. Now if those can be adjusted to a more acceptable ride height (how much adjustability is there generally?) And the dealer is willing to offer a warranty due to the turbo work...

What is a better asking price? Now I can assume they will raise on whatever I offer, but where should I start? Do I drop them to $11k, $10k, or ...?

So my options are:

-Get them to lower the asking price to XX,XXX with a new/replaced turbo and with a warranty hopefully.

-Walk away.

To be honest, I am having a hard time finding many Legacies in this price range with a 5MT anywhere near me. There is another a couple hours away but won't be available for sale (or much information frankly) for another week or two.

I was certainly leaning towards coilovers as far as what the suspension was lowered on, but that comment certainly helped convince me. Now if those can be adjusted to a more acceptable ride height (how much adjustability is there generally?) And the dealer is willing to offer a warranty due to the turbo work...

What is a better asking price? Now I can assume they will raise on whatever I offer, but where should I start? Do I drop them to $11k, $10k, or ...?

should be X,XXX not XX,XXX

i'd say walk away...

headache now or wallet-ache later. Up to you. I think you made the smart choice OP and I am a fan of modded cars.

My 05 is heavily modded and will fetch way over 10k. All my parts are documented, professionally installed and tuned by Infamous Performance & Tuning. Invoices, installers to call up, tuner to reference - I have all these things to sell my modded car properly. The next owner of my car will have NO trouble maintaining it or knowing what they have.

The LGT you were looking at was the opposite. Buying a modded car that is a question mark should ALWAYS be cheaper than a stocker in similar shape.

How are you so certain that you would make more than $10k? Have you tried? Maybe the market for an AWD gas guzzler is better in Los Angeles?

Just going back to stock sales + selling the car locally under 9k would net over 10k;) Nevermind that L.A. is the tuning capital of the western USA. "nobody walks in L.A." I have trolled the F/S threads on here a bit. A west coast car is not a hinderance. I would not sell it in autotrader or C/L. I would not be in a hurry and I would sell it to an automotive enthusiast.

Working in the car industry we always valued cars with mods less than perfect condition. Mark it under KBB fair value and see what its value is.

Fixed: IMO you bolded the wrong part. My target market modded would not bring up KBB values or complain about what boxes they can click on KBB. That should be true of any stage 3+ car I would think. Hell, "in the car industry" no used car is perfect :lol:

Thats the difference between that car and mine (or any of the well documented cars on the forum) isn't it? I am not a dealer. Don't need to sell. I am involved with the shop. Can pass on all info to maintain the car as modded and can reach the market that would be interested. My mods are not going to depreciate the value of my car in that tiny market.

The car op is looking at would sell better stock. Certainly presented as it is it is a great example of how mods generally depreciate the value of a car.

Archived