LegacyGT.com

Inch up, means drop?

malmsteen

With my winters currently on stock rims, I'm thinking of a new setup for next spring.

My stock wheels are 17", but I was wondering what the compromise is if I went 18" for summers.

I know it definitely looks better, but at the same time it'll be heavier as well which I think I can live with. (thinking of Rota gravel/grid)

My car is 2008 Legacy 2.5i Sedan, and currently on 225/45/17 Winters. (stock 205/50/17)

However, my friend told me that if I inch up the car should be lowered otherwise it'll look 'float' and unbalanced, it's almost like a rule to lower the car if I inch up. Is that true?

I'd like it to look balanced, but I don't want to spend too much $$ on lowering springs and coilovers. (to do it the proper way)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I run my '06 LGT on OEM rims with snow tires.... 215/45/17 (Stock size) and run in the summer on 18x8 rims with 225/40/18 tires...the car rides at the same height and does not appear to float as your friend suggested...I am sure someone on this forum will jump on a tire calculator site and point out that my car actually rides a quarter of an inch higher but that is not really correct since all tire manufacturers have marginally different measurements for tires that are sold as being the same size. In my case the winter tires are Nokian WR G2's and the summers are Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S.....by actual measurement the car is at exactly the same ride height...the lower profile tires make it appear to be slightly lowered. Good quality larger rims may not be any heavier....and cetainly not enough to be of any significance unless you are racing and trying to save every gram...in which case you will be buying VERY expensive lightweight rims anyway....do the swap and enjoy your ride.

Does that help??..... here is a very good wheels/tires website to do your own calculations :)

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Archived