LegacyGT.com

I fear it may be clutch time..

HCF

New to this forum, and new to Subaru, but have been tinkering with my vehicles for years.

Vehicle: 05 LGT Sedan Limited. (obviously DOHC + M/T)

Cliff Notes:

1. Will my clutch clear up? Or am I further aggrevating myself/ asking to get stranded?

2. I understand I cannot resurface the dual-mass flywheel my '05LGT has, which single mass flywheel should be used and why?

3. Sachs? Exedy? Or $370 at the dealership to buy the same thing?

4. My car has the transmission whine, specifically which bearings are these? Input shaft/ output shaft/ both/ neither/ something different?

1. I Loaned my vehicle to a family member that totalled their vehicle, and needed something to drive while they saved for another vehicle. It had been 25+ years since he has driven a stick car, so I did not want him to drive my weekend vehicle (Built 91 Prelude SI 4WS, if anyone cares) which I just spent the summer(and what seemed like my life savings lol) building an engine for. The engine and trans needed to be broken in anyways before the turbo goes back on, so I figured everything would work out perfectly. My Legacy ended up being borrowed for about 5 weeks, I didn't see it any any point inbetween. I was pleased to get it back, it had a full tank, and looked to have just been detailed, just as I loaned it. It had around 2500mi put on it. The only point of concern is it RREEAAKKED. I now know this is the clutch. I had not smelt clutch in this car before, but it is awful. It is pretty apparent that he struggled with driving it, worded it something like, "man that thing is tricky to engage." Oh well, I'm not mad, the car has 85,000 on it anyways, it was going to happen sooner or later. Now I have only been driving the car for about 300mi since then, is there any chance it is glazed and may clear up with some normal, light driving?

2. I'm probably going to order parts whether it has to be done now, or if it can wait until the spring. I do not drive my Prelude in the winter unless I don't have a choice. Please correct me if I have researched incorrectly, but I understand I can use a ('07-?) LGT flywheel, which is a single mass unit, (assuming this uses the (05-09) clutch, or a WRX STI (06-?) which is a single mass unit also, but requires the use of a WRX STI specific clutch. I also read a thread that mentioned needing adjust the clutch pedal with the use of the WRX clutch, which I can do if needed.

3. I have noticed a slight debate on here whether its a Sachs or Exedy Clutch. I have used Exedy for factory replacements in the past and they have been fine, no experience with Sachs. I have a car I play with the boost and rag on a little, this is my DD, will not be modded at this point, and just needs to hold up to me impatiently accelerating in traffic. For this reason, I really don't see a need for any crazy stage 56 or 6 -double d- puck type stuff. Additionally, my left leg has a metal rod the length of my femur, and I'm not supposed to drive stick at all. The day has not come where a little pain has been worth the bore of an auto-slushbox. Point being, a "stage one" or something of that nature scares me a little because this clutch is plenty stiff for me to tire out my leg after awhile. I appreciate your reccomendations based on my situation.

4. The car has made this whine since I've had it, even the salesman at the dealer called it turbo-spool. I never thought anything of it, because I test drove four LGT's and they all seemed to have a similar variance of the noise, and the mileages ranged from 30-90k. Im going to have the transmission out anyways, if its a known common wear issue, I'd rather just tackle it now. Do any of you guys DIY them, or is this a drop off the trans at a shop and have them deal with it so I have someone to complain to? I do have some basic knowledge of manual transmissions, have even opened up a couple and reassembled without any immediate grenade effect, I cannot seem to find out which bearings we are discussing? IIRC common wear bearings were the input/ output shaft bearings. Please advise what I am dealing with here.

Anyone know the approximate weight of the Trans? I generally take the Prelude trans down to my chest when changing the clutch(maybe 75lbs?) I was hoping to be able to do the same. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated, look forward to hopefully contributing to the community some after I learn a little about this vehicle. Also, sorry for the novel, just trying to give specific questions in hope of specific answers.

Thank you in advance,

Matt.

Archived