LegacyGT.com

Best Underseat Subwoofer?

sulk

Crutchfield ships fast, even in canada, I now have a sound ordnance b-8pt and it fits under the passenger seat. Will get it hooked up soon, and rear passengers don't lose too much leg room when the chair is in decent position.

Installed the sub under the passenger seat and I'm really happy with it.

Perfect fitment, seat still goes all the way back, and minimal foot space lost (if any) for rear passengers.

Sounds great, I'm only using it on 1/4 right now, and it's more than loud enough for me.

I have component speakers, and it helped fill in the lack of bass that I lost when I got em.

I don't think I'm going to get an aftermarket deck, really have no need for extra features, but I may get an amp to drive the speakers and sub down the line. Hopefully one that fits under the drivers seat. Will have to look into some that can do that.

All in all, very happy with the sound ordnance, and I'll probably take some pictures of the fitment when I get a chance (pretty busy though)

sound ordnance b-8pt

installed this in my friends car few weeks ago. fills in the bass but not hard/shaking like bigger subs. can get pretty loud, great product to fill in the lows and can overpower the speakers

1 prob i see, if you use the hi-input (not rca) the auto turn on does not turn on the sub at lower volumes. she does have an cheap aftermarket headunit

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

sound ordnance b-8pt

installed this in my friends car few weeks ago. fills in the bass but not hard/shaking like bigger subs. can get pretty loud, great product to fill in the lows and can overpower the speakers

1 prob i see, if you use the hi-input (not rca) the auto turn on does not turn on the sub at lower volumes. she does have an cheap aftermarket headunit

I know the power led is on all the time, I'll have to check if at minimal volume on the remote if it is actually bumping, or it's doing something silly and not turning off.

I tend to keep it at 1/4 to 1/3 on the remote volume level, though I haven't had a chance to tweak the settings yet, been working way too much.

Also will try to get pictures when I get a chance. It's literally a perfect fit, and if it were bigger in almost any dimension it wouldn't have fit under the passenger seat.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently put in an underseat sub in my Forester . The Soundstream model here:

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/Subwoofers/USB-8A.html

Much better then the stock underseat sub i had in my Legacy. Nothing like the JL stealthsub with the 10w6 I currently have in my Leggy wagon either but it does fill a need and decently priced.

I recently put in an underseat sub in my Forester . The Soundstream model here:

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/Subwoofers/USB-8A.html

Much better then the stock underseat sub i had in my Legacy. Nothing like the JL stealthsub with the 10w6 I currently have in my Leggy wagon either but it does fill a need and decently priced.

I often wondered about the soundstream one. I saw it and the price was good through internet retailers, but they all seem so similar that it is hard to believe that one is too much better than the others.

I can't figure out how the Focal one is $450.

I often wondered about the soundstream one. I saw it and the price was good through internet retailers, but they all seem so similar that it is hard to believe that one is too much better than the others.

I can't figure out how the Focal one is $450.

Umm... It says focal on the side. Good for an additional $100 :-)

*never heard it

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Umm... It says focal on the side. Good for an additional $100 :-)

*never heard it

My thought exactly. Most of their products are worth the money (as long as you don't buy them at full retail, that is). But an underseat sub for $450? :rolleyes: They probably don't even use their own amplifier section and driver. My guess is that it is a Focal rebrand of some other mainstream underseat sub.

I could be wrong, but I am not spending $450 to find out.

The underseat sub that I got (the Soundstream) is the copy of the one several manufacurers have and likely the same piece. I payed $ 130 for it on ebay. They are just rebadged. I love Focal speakers but it seems too similar to the others and at 60 w RMS, Doubtfull it will be much better. I toyed with the idea of making my own box with subs I already own (like JL 8w3) or getting the JL flat sub (13 " but only req .80 Cf of airspace). Too bad the Infinity Basslink doesn't fit under there. Even with the reliability issues I have heard it and it sounds pretty damn good for an integrated piece.

• 3 weeks later...
Here are my install pics for anyone who's interested.

Took them quickly.

That does look like a perfect fit. Thanks for the review, it was one of the units I'm considering.

The underseat sub that I got (the Soundstream) is the copy of the one several manufacurers have and likely the same piece. I payed $ 130 for it on ebay.

Do you have a model number? Was it this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDSTREAM-USB-8A-2-OHM-400W-SLIM-UNDER-SEAT-SUB-WOOFER-AMPLIFIER-ENCLOSURE-/170727223878?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item27c022b246

And does it fit well? TIA

Yes , thats the one (SOUNDSTREAM USB-8A ). Still yearning for a bit more . May try this one http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13693133/JL-Audio-CP108LG-W3v3.html?tp=112. Don't think it will fit the leggy but it will likely fit well in the more spacious Forester under seat area (sticking out a bit into the passenger footwell) Reviews are very favorable for it. I used to have a JL microsub with an 8w1 that thought it was much bigger. Had it in a 97 LGT. Most people that heard it were amazed.

• 1 year later...
Here are my install pics for anyone who's interested.

http://i.imgur.com/1f5cv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4RnVJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2skwb.jpg

Took them quickly.

How did you get this to fit under there? I have a 2008, and I'm not sure if they changed the seat design slightly between the 2005 and then, but I can't figure out how to get it under there like you did. Were you able to slide it in or did you have to remove the seat first? The main problem I'm having is that there is a support bar under the back of the seat- it looks like the SO box is a few millimeters too tall, as the seat gets wedged on it when you go to move it forward or back.

^^^^^^^

I had some space issues in my 08 fitting a different underseat sub, but I used 2 small washers on each of the rear posts to lift the rear feet up slightly. This allowed me to fit a Clarion unit without interference.

I imagine it would be a tight fit regardless but the one above looks a little taller than the other models.

I'm pretty happy with the underseat sub in my Foz. Tweaked it with some eq and bumped the crossover up a bit to 100 (Had to lower a resonant frequency via eq) Blends well with the fronts

^^^^^^^

I had some space issues in my 08 fitting a different underseat sub, but I used 2 small washers on each of the rear posts to lift the rear feet up slightly. This allowed me to fit a Clarion unit without interference.

I'll have to try that, thanks.

• 2 months later...
Sorry for reviving this thread. I just bought a NVX QBUS8, which is 2-8/10" tall, a lot less than the Sound Ordinance B-8PT that one of you fitted. However, I cannot get it to fit under the driver's seat. Is there a difference in clearance between the regular seats and the electric seats that I have? It feels like there's a metal bar thing under the seat that is murdering the clearance.

Sorry for reviving this thread. I just bought a NVX QBUS8, which is 2-8/10" tall, a lot less than the Sound Ordinance B-8PT that one of you fitted. However, I cannot get it to fit under the driver's seat. Is there a difference in clearance between the regular seats and the electric seats that I have? It feels like there's a metal bar thing under the seat that is murdering the clearance.

You may need to use one or more large washers on the mounting points for the seat. I had to do so with my underseat sub.

The motor does hang lower than does the adjustor on the mechanical seats, so you are not crazy.

Archived