LegacyGT.com

Spec B Bilstein review

redline76

This past weekend I put in a set of loaded Spec B struts (springs/top hats) and I thought I'd share my impressions for those looking to upgrade. The struts have under 1000 miles on them so they perform as new.

Initial impressions are that it's not nearly as severe as I was afraid of. Everyone talks about impact harshness with respect to these struts, but I have to disagree. The ride is fairly compliant and maybe 15% stiffer than stock, but still very manageable and well within the character of the car.

I'm especially particular as the roads here in LA are in terrible condition and my highway commute on stuttered concrete would be torturous if the car rode anywhere near as badly as my STI used to.

Much like the Whiteline sways I put in, this is a moderate, not dramatic increase that improves the character and driveability/tossability of the Legacy with very little negative consequence. Handling has yet to be really tested, but I expect that there won't be a night and day difference. The car still has a bit of roll but is fairly neutral if you don't overdrive it into the corners. The car still squats, only half as badly as it used to with the GT setup.

I imagine that the JDM GT Bilsteins can't be very different from stock as the Spec B setup is, dare I say it, subtle.

My car also experienced virtually no lowering effect from this setup as well.

keep us posted as you get used to them. I am installing spec b version A struts on pink springs tomorrow.

You make a good point. I think we tend to rush to conclusions in the first 10 minutes of any mod :)

So far, so good.

I'm especially particular as the roads here in LA are in terrible condition and my highway commute on stuttered concrete would be torturous if the car rode anywhere near as badly as my STI used to.

What suspension did your STi have? Direct comparisons like this with can be really helpful in helping others judge what the ride quality is truly like.

Thanks

The STI was terrible right out of the box. I added Pinks and hardened strut tops since they supposedly made all the difference in the world for correcting the struts' tendency to overdamp the stock springs. There was a minor improvement, but let's face it, you can't believe everything you read on the internet :) In fact, it was for this reason that anytime I do something to my car I try to give an honest account of my experience so to as avoid the pat "me too" answer that leads someone to buy unneccessary stuff, or buy some crap that "everyone" thinks is the bomb when in fact, it's not as great as vendors would have you believe.

Most of LA freeways are ancient concrete that have developed a rythmic depression in between the expansion seams due to the years of abuse for heavy semis. If you have a stiffly-sprung car, you're going to pitch up and down in a very annoying way until you hit 70+MPH. The STI was particularily vulnerable to this and it sucked to drive 30 miles to work everyday.

The stock Legacy is unaffected by these conditions. With Spec Bs on, the texture of the road is communicated through the suspension, but it does not pitch.

I installed the rev A spec B struts on my car today (with pinks). I'll write up a separate review in a day or two when I've had some more time behind the wheel. So far though, they don't seem much if any harsher on bad surfaces. They do perhaps transmit a bit more info about the road textures. But I haven't had enough time to get a better feel for them yet. If i find them too harsh I may swap the pinks out for spec B springs as well.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Archived