LegacyGT.com

Seat belt chime going off while braking?

Hi folks,

I know the passenger seat belt chime is weird.

I know you can disable it.

I know you can fool around the seat (pound on it, slide it back/forth, etc.) to fix it, sometimes.

But my question is this:

Is there anything wrong with anything else in the car if the seat belt chime is going off when I brake? Especially when I brake from 30mph or higher. I'm guessing its just inertia setting off the passenger sensor but I want to make sure it's not something else more ominous, especially since it is associated with braking (something I'd like to keep in working order.)

Thanks,

Mike

Plug the passenger seat belt in and see if it still happens. If not, then it's probably the passenger sensor.

As far as I know, you can't disable the passenger sensor without disabling the passenger airbag, as well. The driver side is simple, since it doesn't rely on a sensor.

• 3 weeks later...
It happened to my Outback the other day. I buckled up the passenger seatbelt. The light on the dash didn't blink (it's only for the driver side) but the passenger seatbelt sign in the middle is blinking. However, the passenger airbag sign is OFF. It's weird.
From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

• 1 year later...

Archived