LegacyGT.com

Is there a TSB for the lower control arm bushings?

05_2.5

Is there a TSB out for the rear bushings on the front lower control arms? I have a MY05 and noticed they have large cracks and chunks missing. I remember reading on here that the cracks had to be a certain length in order to be covered but I cant seem to find it now. No clunking yet so I was looking to get some info before I mentioned it at my next oil change. The dealer already has a call in about my sway bar bushings and endlinks to see if they are covered. Oh yeah and I have the extended warranty to 100K.

• 1 month later...

2005~06MY Legacy Front Lower Control Arm bushings

Dealers have reported, and in some cases replaced, the Front Lower Control Arms for cracked bushings. Generally, replacement is not necessary. Even with cracks up to 15mm across the outside surface, and all the way through the bushing from one side to the other, the bushing performance is still 20 times the strength of specification.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V200725469~C42417~R0~OB0~P3R0H~N/0/115013665/117253666/117253857/117253861/34853741/34850750/42063452/160081506/159728286/158868950

This type of bushing works with compressed rubber and when the control arm travels through its full stroke it stretches a small portion of the bushing and will exhibit a crack or split. This does not affect the performance of the bushing and will not continue to spread to the rest of the bushing. It does not cause body vibrations, noises, or braking issues. A Service Bulletin will be released outlining the above information. See image to the right.

Note : B9 Tribeca models have a similar design Control Arm Bushing. However, the material and characteristics of the bushing material may be slightly different. The issue of cracking and its affects are being reviewed at this time. We will update this information for this model in a future issue of Tech TIPS.

Just got my car back yesterday. I showed them this TSB from online http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHTSA__SUBARU_LEGACY_technical_service_bulletin_214714.html

and they replaced the rear bushings on the lower control arms and an alignment under warranty. I was also able to get me front sway bar bushings and endlinks as well as valvecover gaskets, plug wires and plugs replaced (oil soaked) under warranty. Hope this helps someone out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest PeteAWD

I have 142k on mine. The rear lower control arm bushings are shot and they cannot align it properly. Are the rears covered at the dealer. The TSB you have here says "front'. I need the rears replaced. Any help would be appreciated before I do it. My alignment is out of whack too.

Thanks,

Pete

Just got my car back yesterday. I showed them this TSB from online http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHTSA__SUBARU_LEGACY_technical_service_bulletin_214714.html

and they replaced the rear bushings on the lower control arms and an alignment under warranty. I was also able to get me front sway bar bushings and endlinks as well as valvecover gaskets, plug wires and plugs replaced (oil soaked) under warranty. Hope this helps someone out.

I have 142k on mine. The rear lower control arm bushings are shot and they cannot align it properly. Are the rears covered at the dealer. The TSB you have here says "front'. I need the rears replaced. Any help would be appreciated before I do it. My alignment is out of whack too.

Thanks,

Pete

You have 142,000 miles. I doubt anything is going to be covered under warranty.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Guest PeteAWD

If it is a "safety TSB", by law they must perform the operation, even if the car had 300k on it. What I'm finding online is the front was a "safety" TSB. I have to call SOA in the morning. In any event, I'm still trying to be clear with what you had done under the TSB. Did you get the rears covered under a TSB or they just goodwilled it. They've done me many of goodwills, however my LGT is well past its prime.

Thanks

You have 142,000 miles. I doubt anything is going to be covered under warranty.

I wasn't aware that there was a law requiring the dealer to perform technical service bulletins. Especially since this one states the conditions under which the bushing should NOT be replaced. I was always under the impression that TSB repairs were on the customers dime, and that only safety RECALL's must be performed regardless of age or mileage.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Guest PeteAWD

Okay I was under the impression there were TSB's and Safety TSB's. I thought a safety TSB was a fancy manufacturer term for a RECALL. In any event, I will call SOA to verify it because mine shimmies like hell in the front sometimes and then it's fine. No one can figure it out. I replaced all the bushings and end links. The rotors, tires and wheels are 3 mos old and the balancing is correct.

Pete

I wasn't aware that there was a law requiring the dealer to perform technical service bulletins. Especially since this one states the conditions under which the bushing should NOT be replaced. I was always under the impression that TSB repairs were on the customers dime, and that only safety RECALL's must be performed regardless of age or mileage.

Nah, a TSB is a technical service bulletin. It provides information to technicians about items that need special attention.

There was one about warranty of center differentials, and how to check for abusive driving.

Archived