LegacyGT.com

front sway to complement my rear JDM bar

usedtobeaJusty

I've just installed new Monroe Struts on my car, upgraded the front end links to Kartboys and added AVO front swaybar bushings to the stock bar. In the rear I'm running a JDM bar with factory end links.

I feel the mod bug coming on and I'm thinking about replacing the front sway bar. I don't want to buy another new rear bar because I just sunk the money into that one.

I don't need crazy handling, but something to just tighten it up a bit would be great. i drive on bumpy roads and live in the snow belt so it needs to pass on all those criteria.

Which bar would be a good addition to the front and work with the Kartboy end links I have on there?

I'm tossing around this same question. I've been using the 20mm JDM rear sway for awhile, but just picked up a 22mm adj Whiteling front sway and KB solid front endlinks.

I'm going to wait till spring to install to be safe, but I'm wondering already if the new front sway (set on soft) and endlinks will be too much paired w/ the JDM.

Not to threadjack, just in for some responses..

No, a sway bar should not effect ride harshness. Sway bars minimize lateral movement btw the front or rear tires while cornering, struts and springs do the dampening.

What I'm saying is, aftermarket companies pair f&r sway bars based on R&D to find a good neutral setup. Its prob better to buy a matched pair of sways then have a mixed setup. On the other hand, plenty of people run mixed setups, but they have put in their own time and like how their car over/under-steers.

Regarding safety, I just don't want my back end flying out around every corner b/c the front bar would now be bigger then the rear sway on the winter roads. I'm familiar with my setup, not wise to change it right before the roads get bad.

I'd just like to hear what others have tried..

A too stiff sway would effect harshness if you drive on a lot of broken up surfaces, meaning one wheel articulates and one isn't. There's one stretch of road I commute on that is pretty bad with tons of pothole patches etc. Our roads aren't very well taken care of and the winter makes it 10x worse.

Personally I would prefer a little oversteer to understeer. I think it is easier to control. Having the front wheels just push scares me every time it happens.

On the contrary, it's a matter of personal preference. There are people who run huge front bars and NO rear bar for certain situations, some people like oversteer, some like understeer.. I feel like the front of my car pushes too much through turns as well as the OP.

Is the Whiteline bar going to be too much is my question, prob just a little..

If one wheel is moving up or down, over a bump or through a pothole, and the other isn't (or is moving in the opposite direction), then you are torquing the bar and the ride will be more harsh. If both wheels are moving together, say over a speed bump or an expansion joint, then it wouldn't matter if you had no arb or a 50mm one. Both sides move in sync and the bar doesn't twist.

I've paired a 22mm Progress adjustable rear arb on the stiff setting with the stock front bar on my wagon. I can make the rear swing out with the right inputs, but it's not tail happy. I like it.

I personally wouldn't go stiffer on the front. If anything, I'll be going with stiffer springs all around, which might mean wanting a less stiff bar on the back again. Hopefully, moving to the soft setting takes care of it.

Archived