LegacyGT.com

hello all , just bought a 91 Legacy...

this is my first post but i have been looking around a bit and have found some useful information. i would however like to get a few opinions and maybe some additional information. i bought a 91 Legacy from a friend that has a no start condition. he told me he installed a new fuel pump and the car started right up and drove for a bit but then started missing and died. it has since sat for a year and a half. he delivered it to me after dark but i checked for spark (the engine/starter turns over as it should) but it has none. he had taken the timing cover off to check the belt and all seems fine. my plan is to try to see if anything comes up when i check the codes (if i truly understand how to get it into diagnostic mode) and double check the fuel pressure. is this a good start? what are the most common causes of no start/no spark condition with these cars? i should add he included an entire intake and coil pack and i tried the spare coil with no change. sorry for the long post and thanks for reading . please excuse my being new to these cars and the site. i will try to use the search feature as well . any advice and information will be greatly appreciated . thanks all ,Ted

well here is how to diagnose it, if there is any confusion. [ame=

]
[/ame]

HERE is another guide, and all the codes

i'm also new to these cars and am still trying to fix my 1990 legacy wagon. Im sure someone here can help you with the ignition problems, but i cant. sry

i am getting no power to the ignition control module - pcm? today i have tried another coil- still no spark or fuel. i did get it into diagnostic mode but it only gave me code 22 knock sensor. i tried testing the crank and cam sensors but all i can tell is it does make a differance in ac voltage when engine rotated. would the fact that it will go into diagnostic mode mean the computer is good?

i took both sensors , crank and cam out and cleaned them and checked the wires. all seems ok and i get .07 - 1 v(ac) when checking them (slowly moving it goes vdc nothing vdc , in other words they seem to be working . could it be a bad ignition control module and fuel pump?

dont know about the voltages. seems the sensors are ok.

"if your battery is weak you may not see a spark. also pull a fuel line off the drivers side by the filter and check for pressure when you turn the key on (the electric pump will cut off right away if the computer does not see rpm, but at least you'lll know its working). If not the fuel pump then probably the crank sensor. If it fails, there will be no spark because the computer does not realize the engine is turning over. No CEL or code either with those, you would think if the cam sensor is getting a reading but the crank sensor is not there would be a code but that is not the case with a Subaru. No backup or default. Could be the cam sensor but you should get a CEL for that. Also, if your coil and sensors are OK, test the igniter next, its under the air box between the throttle body and firewall."

yahoo answers ^^

do you know if the guy replaced the timing belt? it could be out of time.

thanks again for the reply , it helps to have some confirmation. he did not replace it , just took the covers off to check the marks. i plan to check the fuel pump and ignter/ignition control modal. best i can tell the crank sensor is good. the little car seems worth repairing but with the cost of parts i am try to find some salvage yard parts but have yet to do so. now i've got to try to figure out how to test the igniter.

Archived