LegacyGT.com

Help fixing 1990 legacy motor problems?

The 1990 legacy wagon i bought yesterday is having motor problems. I cranked it this afternoon and the motor was constantly idling at 2500rpm, then when i would shift to 1st gear with the clutch still pushed in it would idle down to 1800rpm. then if i put it bakc in neutral nd rev it to 2500rpm, it would stay at 2500rpm again. i cranked the car several times but it just kept doing the same thing. After a little research, i determined it could be the MAF sensor or the TPS sensor or the IAC valve. So i removed the top part of the IAC and TPS and cleaned them with a special electrical cleaner, let them dry good, then reinstalled them. That definitely fixed the high idle problems, now it idles very low and sometimes just dies. When it does idle without dying, if i rev the motor up, when the RPMs start to go down, it will just die. I tried adjusting the tps, several times, and finally just put it back in the exact same place it was from the factory (it is marked). I never even adjusted the idle screw on the TB. The car wont run with the MAF unplugged, it also wont run with the tube that connects to the air filter unplugged at the throttle body. for some reason now, it has developed ticking sound in the head on the drivers side. No clue how MAF and TPS would make a lifter tick, or whatever that tick is. what could be the problem? Oh and i checked the oil and it has waaaay to much oil in it. no water. Checked the plugs, and they are all Bosch Platinum 2 which doesnt need gaping.

SORRY DIDNT MEAN TO POST 2 TIMES. hit "back" and it reposted.

Archived