LegacyGT.com

just bought a 1990 legacy wagon with 250k miles. (long read)

Subarus are freaking amazing, this car has 250k miles on it, sat for a long long time. Bought a new fuel pump for it, and the car runs beautifully. The motor cranks right up first try everytime, no knocks, no clanks, just 1 of the belts going to the AC compressor is off one groove. ill fix that in the daylight tomorrow. The sticker on the windshield says the last time the oil was changed was at 150k miles, but the guy i bought it from im pretty sure changed it more. The motor doesnt smoke any whatsoever, hot or cold. It has a a FRAM Airhog air filter in it, that looks brand new. dont know if that is what subaru puts in them from the factory or not. Supposedly has a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and im guessing the flywheel turned/resurfaced. The few problems i have discovered on this car is that the drives side CV joint boot is torn badly where it connects to the wheel, not the transmission. This is the FWD legacy. The other CV joint apepears to be fine. Also the rack and pinion steering on the passenger side is leaking a little, and the rubber boot/dust shield on the the passenger side is torn and dislocated. Car still steers fine though. The body is rough as pig iron but i have a HVLP sprayer im gonna put the car in flat black primer/enamel. gotta do some research on the painting. The rust doesnt seem very bad on the main parts like the frame/control arms, etc. the front and rear bumpers are rusted underneath some. And inside the wheel wells has some surface rust. Other than that, all the windows roll down, all the doors lock and lock properly from inside or with key, the rear door/hatch whatever, works perfectly.. the fold down seats are working and the driver seat leans all the way back, not sure about the passenger side. The car is equiped with AC, but the compressor doesnt engage. blower motor works good, the heater works good. seat belts still work, rear window defrost would work but 1 of the connectors is simply disconnected. Got the car for $200, put $112 in fuel pump & filter on the pump. oil change will be next, and trans fluid change. along with probably power steering fluid. this car is a trooper!

edit: i may need to adjust the idle, it idles really low sometimes, like 400 rpm, and will drop to around 200rpm if i use the power steering sitting still and with the trans in neutral and clutch engaged. Needless, the motor doesnt shake at 200rpm. runs very smooth. and the car sounds like a muscle car, the muffler must be bad or something. The sound comes from the pipe at the rear of the car but it does sound like a v8, not like a fart like most 4 cylinders sound. i dont think the muffler has been replaced, i think the muffler is just shot, but im not gonna fix it, it sounds good to me.

this is it for anyone as bored as i am right now: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0J01A_Fck0]YouTube - 1990 legacy wagon ej22 exhaust sound[/ame]

Hey, not bad at all. It's amazing that even after they sit, the cars still pretty much remain reliable.

I had a 95 wagon that sat for about 2 years, got it with 150k, and put another 100k on it before I sold it. The guy that bought it drove it all the way down to Tennessee, and it made it without issue.

Archived