LegacyGT.com

Strut Suggestions

The_Condor

After about 60K miles of stock struts on STi pinks the ride has become rather harsh. I'm looking for some replacements and I'd rather keep the ride on the comfier/smooth side of the spectrum.

I'm considering the KYB GR2 mostly because they are inexpensive and appears to be softer than others.

What do you suggest?

PS - I really don't want to break the bank on this...

Bilstein will require new top hats up front. This will change the overall stance of the car. It will have a "saggy butt".

This can be remedied with shims. But now the car is taller than before. The cost of top hats and shims should be considered.

I sell the bilsteins packaged with the tophats. I also sell the KYB. I sell Koni as well, but that requires you to disassemble your OEM. Not sure how you feel about that. I dont sell the Tokico, but they are available. Those also use the SpecB tophat and will raise the front end.

IMHO the KYB are best for those who are happy with OEM and want an easy install.

Koni is the best strut option for the car overall. Takes some work, but if you are mechanically inclined you can do it no problem.

Konis will be more harsh than stock even on their lowest rebound settings, but the car will be a lot better controlled in transitions. Gutting the front struts to put the inserts in takes maybe another 20 minutes to a half hour per side at a leisurely pace, and merely requires a bit of nerve as once you start you can't turn back.

Would it still have the "saggy butt" if you also put in OEM Spec B springs?

Also, any idea how much taller the car sits?

Yes. My SpecB came with a saggy butt from the factory.

Using the SpecB tophats will lift the car approx 3/8".

If you were really happy with your Pinks on OEM, you will be just as happy with the KYB on pinks. They are inexpensive and bolt in install. Car will sit at same height as now. Ride will be just a hair more firm than new OEM.

Are you looking to keep the STi Pink Springs? If so I would suggest not going with the KYB struts.

If you are going to stay with the Pinks then you will want to go with Konis or Bilsteins.

If you are going to go back to stock springs then the KYBs are a good option.

I see you are in CT, so if you are interested we can do the work and source the parts as well. We stock the Konis, and can get the others within a day or 2.

-mike

I only suggested going with the KYB because he put 60k on the OEM's with the Pinks and was happy.

I noted the Konis being my favorite, LOL.

Mike at AZP can deff help you out. He and his guys are more than knowledgeable and skilled in the art of Subaru maint/repair/mod. They also have great prices and cold beer.

You do make a valid point that the stockers lasted 60k w/pinks.

I have experienced accelerated wear with pinks + stocks in the past on LGTs.

M Sprank can always drop ship parts to us if we can't get pricing on the parts to match his!

Oh we not only have a Keg on Tap now, we just got an Otis Spunkmeyer Cookie oven setup. :)

-mike

Yeah I plan on keeping the Pinks. I was happy with the ride at first, but lately it's been harsh. I'm sure some of this is because I'm getting older, but I'm also guessing a big part of this is because 60K miles of Pinks on stock struts has worn them pretty badly.

Sounds like KYB's are my best option at this point since The Bilsteins will be pricey especially when I add in another 120 for tophats and the Koni's may be too firm for my liking.

I find the Koni's to be very comfortable. The fact you can match the spring rate makes them a winner. Comfortable yet excellent handling , what more could you ask for. Pony up the price and do it right. My stockers became harsh in 40K . Nearly three years running Koni's and couldn't be happier.

Archived