LegacyGT.com

911 Turbo Test Drive

So I went to visit my buddy who got an '03 911 turbo. We go out in it and after a cruise down an awesome back road he turns it around and gets out and tells me it's my turn...

THAT THING IS FAST! It is like driving the Legacy GT but putting it on 4 triangle fast forward on the DVR.

I have to admit, my '05 LGT was much nicer to drive around town. The 911's biggest advantage was in the brake pedal feel. It was like stepping on a rock. The transmission was really notchy. Driving it smoothly was a little tricky because the flywheel was so light (bad for smoothness...awesome for rev matched downshifts). The turbos didn't really kick in until 4K...it was a little lazy upto that point, then it was scary. It was WAY TOO MUCH firepower for street driving. In the blink of an eye you could be in the lose your license and go to jail speed range.

The steering was telepathic and there was NO Pitch/Roll/Dive in the suspension. The legacy leaves a LOT to be desired here (you should see my track pictures - scraping the door handles and squating it's ass when you hit the gas).

It's amazing how good the legacy is... Before I got my GT, I drove a 94 Mazda MX-6 (116 hp 4 cylinder). It was fun to drive, but stepping from that, into a '05 corvette was a shock. Going from my LGT into the Porsche was not nearly as shocking.

Now I have to convince my buddy to bring it to a HPDE at VIR with me... (and let me drive it there).

Summary: An amazing dream car (just not my dream car).

They are definitely amazing cars. My mom had an 85 Carrera with the whale tail for a while. The heavy clutch made it tough to drive around town. But highway speeds, it was great. Tons of power and handling. The ride was pretty rough though, even compared to a low rider truck I had once. Definitely a great track day car.

The CFO at my last job had an '07 Turbo Cab, chipped (to ~530 hp @ sea level) and dropped. He never let me drive it ("My wife hasn't even driven this thing"), but I did get a few neck-snapping rides. DAYUM!!

He liked to hold the throttle @ around 3500 rpm and side-step the clutch. WHAM! By the time I got my vision back, we'd be blowing by 60mph; then he'd grab 2nd and I'd be looking at the sky again.

... It was WAY TOO MUCH firepower for street driving...

Untrue.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived