LegacyGT.com

09 Hand Brake Adjustment

09LegacySE

It is a joke, but the official Subaru explanation is simple. Lift and lower the handle. It is self adjusting. Supposed to adjust with the lifting and lowering of the brake handle. Try doing it repeatedly about 100 times, works for me. You can only get it tight enough to hear 7 clicks. No less.

Ok. I let my mother drive my car (wifes car) for 10k miles. Well... She is, cough cough, a little aggressive with the parking brake. Needless to say, she successfully stretched the cable enough in 10k miles that the Subaru "lift to adjust" method did no good.

So, I went looking for a manual adjuster. Found it.

Remove the parking brake cover (plastic surround and fake leather). It is basically held in place by plastic tabs. Beneath it is a nut at the end of the cable. Tighten the nut and the cable gets shorter. Manual adjustment. Tightened it until 7 clicks was the max. Works like brand new again. Now I suppose in 10k more, I will need a new cable after mom stretches it out more, LOL.

Yeah, but that is at each wheel. So, playing with it can mess with bias between wheels. Pain in the arse since you have to do both and remove the wheels to get to it.

Took me less tham 5 minutes to find the in cabin adjustment nut and make the adjustment. I pulled the parking brake cover up with my bare hands. Then just needed a 10mm ratcheting wrench to adjust the nut. Cover back on, done.

Quick and easy. Adjusts the main line, so no messing with each side. I posted a link to the vacation pix in several threads. I am sure they explain the "proper" method for removing the parking brake cover.

Remove the parking brake cover (plastic surround and fake leather). It is basically held in place by plastic tabs. Beneath it is a nut at the end of the cable. Tighten the nut and the cable gets shorter. Manual adjustment. Tightened it until 7 clicks was the max. Works like brand new again. Now I suppose in 10k more, I will need a new cable after mom stretches it out more, LOL.

Did this today. Easy as pie. Thanks.

Is very tuff problem. I think problem your Brake cable so 1st check your car brake and cable a good technician other than you change this Brake and install a new Brake. Automobile e-brakes usually consist of a (usually adjustable for length) directly connected to the brake mechanism on one end and to some type of mechanism that can be actuated by the driver on the other end.

Archived