LegacyGT.com

Drl & high beams not working

Drove the Subie this weekend and noticed that the high beams were not functioning and then noticed that the dlrs were not functioning as well. Went th check the bulbs and noticed this... See attachments. Has anyone else run into this issue? Looks like a recall issue if both sides are doing the same thing.

There were no pieces that fell out when i removed the connectors so it must have burned off then corroded and rusted. :spin:

P1060937.thumb.jpg.9abb223c80c8dc22d23ff27b013eaaf2.jpg

P1060938.thumb.jpg.191b4b647412d5fac4b7c2843fd0e9e2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are you running higher wattage bulbs or fancy colored bulbs? I had the same issue on my VW when I ran some aftermarket bulbs.

Are you running higher wattage bulbs or fancy colored bulbs? I had the same issue on my VW when I ran some aftermarket bulbs.

I also had the same issue but on my wrx when i bought it. both plugs were melted due to the previous owner upgrading to some way too high watt bulbs.

what does the wiring look like any burns? also check the bulbs

Curious to see.

I also had the same issue but on my wrx when i bought it. both plugs were melted due to the previous owner upgrading to some way too high watt bulbs.

what does the wiring look like any burns? also check the bulbs

Curious to see.

They are 100W high beams but are blue which probably draws more current. The highs are never used maybe 2% of the time. The dlrs are used all the time. Not sure of how the lights are contolled for the dlrs? Lower voltage or contolled current? The wires are fine but it looks like there was water intrusion in the connector which started the corrosion. It must be running hot which may have caused the connector to get a hairline crack. Now I need to find new connectors. Is KOP an option?

I believe that on '08 and up the highbeams function as the DRLs which I'm sure didn't help your situation. I would suggest either going back to stock bulbs, getting a lower wattage bulb, or disabling the DRLs after you get the harness hooked back up.

I believe that on '08 and up the highbeams function as the DRLs which I'm sure didn't help your situation. I would suggest either going back to stock bulbs, getting a lower wattage bulb, or disabling the DRLs after you get the harness hooked back up.

Yes they do. I think I found a replacement. Its not an exact replacement but it is for a 9005 bulb.

HIGH TEMPERATURE Connector

Maximum Temperature = 572º F / 300º C

http://www.headlightplugs.com/graphics/9005.ht.jpg

Archived