LegacyGT.com

1993 Legacy SS

ruhrohh

Maybe Ill have better luck here but there is a 93 Legacy SS for sale in my area and my friend wants to buy it. Its got 176k miles on it and one of the cleanest ive ever seen except for the typical rust bubbles. I know the EJ22t is claimed to be the "bullet proof" motor but is there anything he should look for? any known "defects" or anything like that? hes a little discouraged from the amount of miles the car has and of course the age. he has to commute around 40-50 miles a day for school next year and all he cares about is the fact that the car will last. Thanks guys.

Heres the mod list regarding the engine components from the ad

Modifications – Engine/Drivetrain:

· Joe-P MBC set to Approximately 12psi (~$50)

· Magnecore Competition Spark Plug Wires (~$90)

· D.E.I. Thermowrapped Turbo and Downpipe (~$55)

· WRX Top Mount Intercooler (~$100) not installed

· HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve (~$200)

· VRG3 Fuel Cut Defender Wired into ECU so car can run unlimited boost (~$50)

· Full Stainless Steel 3" Turbo-Back WRX Exhaust, Custom Modified for the Legacy (~$650)

· Factory Down-Pipe port-matched to turbo

· "Uncle Scotties" Cocktail Tranny Fluid Mix (50% Prestone Synchromesh Synthetic Transmission Fluid and 50% RedLine MT-90 Transmission Fluid)

· Shifter linkage bushings

· Brand new Front Driver-Side Balljoint

· Subaru Turbo Exedy Clutch Set (~$176)

· WRX Shifter Linkage with Chopped Shifter (~$100)

make sure the turbo inlet tube and turbo oil lines are clean, dry and leak free. This is the same mileage I sold mine at after putting 100K on it myself and 2 clutches. Never had any other mechanical issues other than typical maintenance items like brakes, battery etc. By the way, sold it for $1700 and bought my LGT wagon. Wish I would have kept it to make it a track car.

Good luck.

mine was solid. Never modded it though. Stock the whole time, drove it like I stole it the whole time. Always went thru one quart of oil between oil changes. Always changed the oil myself at 3,000miles. Ran strong when I sold it, was a total rust-bucket after many Utah winters and 3 Iowa winters.

This one appears to have been modded quite a bit with the list above. I'd definitely find a very experienced subie shop (mod shop) and have it thoroughly looked over. It's worth a $100 fee to have peace of mind in a used/modded car.

I'd never buy it without an experienced subie guy's 2 cents.

first i would check out http://bbs.legacycentral.org/

i use that site for more specific questions to my MY94 legacy. great group and they will have more insight on a SS.

nothing against this forum :wub:

+1. There is so much info around there its crazy. Also ultimatesubaru.com has a bunch too.

Archived