LegacyGT.com

Want to purchase GT Wagon. Opinions.

I'm currently driving a 09 TSX Tech and want to get into a GT Wagon. I thought this would be a good place to start with my research.

Reliability and maintenance cost are my biggest concerns with the AWD and Turbo. Is there anything I should be aware of, concerned about.

Like my car. Don't buy a TSX with the Tech package because it's 'upgraded' sound system blows speakers like a two bit...never mind. There are bigger problems but you get the idea.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak to the turbo (one of the reasons I drive a 2.5i is that I didn't want to have to worry about this one), but put any questions about AWD reliability out of your head. It's simply not an issue. Subaru's AWD isn't an adaptation of a FWD system, but built from the ground up with the rest of the car designed around it and the boxer engine. Run four matched tires (same brand, same model, same size, installed at same time, to ensure equal grip and equal diameter) and you'll be fine.

welcome to the forums.

search blown vf40, wheel bearings and oil pick-up tube failures. Subarus are pretty reiable and the drivetrain usually is not problematic, but I would stick with a 5spd.

Maintaince is everything on these cars, stock turbos have gone to 150k. buying used, you are counting on the honesty and diligence of the previous owner(s). You'll be stepping back a few model years to get a GT wagon. Oh and if you want to upgrade the stereo, it's not exactly plug and play.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

05/06 cars have a cat before the turbo in the up-pipe, as well as a egt sensor. You will want to know if the previous owner upgraded the up-pipe.

gold luck with your wagon questing!

welcome to the forums.

search blown vf40, wheel bearings and oil pick-up tube failures. Subarus are pretty reiable and the drivetrain usually is not problematic, but I would stick with a 5spd.

Maintaince is everything on these cars, stock turbos have gone to 150k. buying used, you are counting on the honesty and diligence of the previous owner(s). You'll be stepping back a few model years to get a GT wagon. Oh and if you want to upgrade the stereo, it's not exactly plug and play.

I will second this statement. I bought a used Legacy Gt and almost immediately had to replace the turbo with 55K miles. The previous owner maintenance habits had everything to do with it. This is critical stuff because sloppy maintenance is the #1 cause of turbo failure. Subaru maintains a computer service record, related to the VIN, of every time a Subaru is serviced by a dealer. Tell them the only way that you will buy is if they can produce that record. And not the handwritten log in the back of the owners manual! The service record is not confidental. If you come across one of these cars, the salesman will do back flips to show you the computer records. Even though I do all my own service, my next Subaru will have records proving regular service: the proverbial "old man's car".

I've got a GT wagon. Let me just say that trying to find one in stick is a pita. I found one about 3 states away called said that they had it finishing in detail. Called about an hour later to ask what time they close becuase I was gunna go look at it then and there. They said it had sold. So needless to say when I found one in auto and drove it I took it right then and there. Great car all around. careful of the winter though if you don't have winter tires the rear can step out pretty quick.

definitely true on finding GT wagons, they turn up every once in a while, I know there's one in texas (check out ebay, its an AT). i got lucky with mine, found out a member on here was selling it, and he had posted it on ebay. because i lived 30 minutes away, got him to cut me a good deal, got it stage 2, with bbs wheels, and with 47K miles for 16,500, been happy ever since! dunno bout u guys, but i got hell for a good week or two after buying it, since people were like wtf why would u buy a wagon, but when i had friends drive in the car they realized how quick it was and then they shut their mouths haha

definitely true on finding GT wagons, they turn up every once in a while, I know there's one in texas (check out ebay, its an AT). i got lucky with mine, found out a member on here was selling it, and he had posted it on ebay. because i lived 30 minutes away, got him to cut me a good deal, got it stage 2, with bbs wheels, and with 47K miles for 16,500, been happy ever since! dunno bout u guys, but i got hell for a good week or two after buying it, since people were like wtf why would u buy a wagon, but when i had friends drive in the car they realized how quick it was and then they shut their mouths haha

I was expecting that from my friends too but since they already said that when I had my previous wagon it was all good. Plus they actually like my wagon.

When my wagon was out of commission this summer, I was forced to buy a cheap set of wheels for my DD. I ended up with a Miata, and was the car I took on vacation. I literally felt that when I was packing I was getting ready to go backpacking, trying to decide what I should bring or not bring to the beach. Needless to say my surf rods stayed at home this year..

For 90% of the time the miata is fine for me, commuting, short trips to store, etc. But the LGT wagon is about the best compromise btwn having a sports car and a SUV. I Don't worry about snow, and I can get lots in it if needed. Oh and my LGT has ~3x the whp as the miata...

There is one about 10 hours away. A 95 LGTW (non limited) which has 32,xxx miles on it. It's a 5spd!!!!!!!

Only problem is that it's 10 hours north of here which means interior winters and possibly salt....

SVX6. I would be willing to fly to florida and take two days to drive home. Not a big deal for me.

Archived