LegacyGT.com

1990 legacy suspension

i just picked up a new jdm suby that wa slammed to the ground on obx racing springs. i love the look but hate the ride i know that the struts are blown. just wondering if you guys have any ideas for keeping the same slammed look but not such a bouncy ride

P.s. this isnt my first lowered car either i know the difference between normal bounce but this is super aggresive

KYB AGX struts with some coilover sleeves. If you want to slam it, you'll have to cut off the spring perches which are on the springs themselves in order to adjust them to a super low setting.

Also, a cheaper alternative would be some Tanabe springs for an 04 STi. They will fit, all you need are the impreza perches for the fronts, and the rears will bolt right onto legacy struts and tophats.

yes sir i was up at meadows today thanks for the props...

and to jester is that your wagon in the picture/ if so what set up are you running on yours. i love the springs they are on the gyr2 struts i believe nad they are not set up for the springs cause the top hat is not pressed so it like cut springs pretty much

i know people say you can get like impreza coils for legacy's but is it true? and if you have to change the tophats or anything else?

dont mean to but in on your thread just trying to get info for lowering mine haha

GC (pre-2001 Impreza) Coilovers fit, no problem, straight bolt on, camber plates and all.

The Coilovers I'm running came off a 1998 Impreza WRX STI in Japan.

I also posted a link in your Thread about which Coilovers fit, the fitment is listed as 98-01 Impreza, but they work on ours.

what site did you order them from? and how much? im definatley switching my suspension up. i would not recommened the obx springs i found out today the are a float style spring so all that means is a lot of blown struts and a very bouncy ride... and also with those tiens do the bolt right up or you have to drill holes for the top studs so that you can get accurate alignment?

what site did you order them from? and how much? im definatley switching my suspension up. i would not recommened the obx springs i found out today the are a float style spring so all that means is a lot of blown struts and a very bouncy ride... and also with those tiens do the bolt right up or you have to drill holes for the top studs so that you can get accurate alignment?

The Teins I ordered from jdmplace.com, and I have also ordered the Megans from the link below. The Teins I payed $1100 for, the Megans about $900 after shipping. You don't have to do anything more than bolt them up, everything is the same as the Impreza, including alignment on the Camber Plates.

http://www.meganracingperformance.com/search_subaru_impreza_1993-2001_damper-kits.html

lol okay and one more question would it be for the better if i look into the tie rod ends and other suspension components? just so nothing gets super messed up?

It would be nice for further adjustability, and to have nice shiny new parts, but it's not needed if you just want a nice dropped ride that handles better than the stock setup. I think you'll be plenty happy with just a set of Coilovers, Sway Bars, and Strut Bars :).

It would be nice for further adjustability, and to have nice shiny new parts, but it's not needed if you just want a nice dropped ride that handles better than the stock setup. I think you'll be plenty happy with just a set of Coilovers, Sway Bars, and Strut Bars :).

Aww, I pressed the wrong damn button.

i just picked up a new jdm suby that wa slammed to the ground on obx racing springs. i love the look but hate the ride i know that the struts are blown. just wondering if you guys have any ideas for keeping the same slammed look but not such a bouncy ride

P.s. this isnt my first lowered car either i know the difference between normal bounce but this is super aggresive

I wanna see some legacy's local. We need to get together and go find some snow!

haha okay any suggestion of sway bars and strut bars?

Front Strut Bars from a GC bolt right up, no problem. They're a dime a dozen, Cusco, Megan, Whiteline, STI, to name a few make them. I personally use an Okuyama Carbing Strut Tower Bar. You don't have to get all ghey-DM like me, anything decent will have a benefit.

A Rear Strut Bar from a GC will not bolt right up, it takes some work. At least on the Wagons they do, I'm not sure how it works on the Sedans. The Stud Pattern is the same, I just had to chop up the mounts to fit around my rear speaker assemblies. I also had to slot the bolt holes on the bar to make the bar reach each mount since the Wagons Strut Tops are further apart than the GC's. I also had to cut a slot into my rear speaker covers so I could reuse them. If you decide to use a Rear Strut Bar, make sure to purchase one that has enough room to slot the holes. I use a Cusco Carbon Rear Strut Bar (Type CB).

Rear Sway Bars are unique to us due to the Gas Tank being different. Whiteline is the only company that makes a bigger Rear Sway Bar for us, for your 90MY, they are available in 18mm, 20mm, and 20mm adjustable.

Front Sway Bars are also available from Whiteline in 20mm, 22mm, and 22mm adjustable for the Non-Turbos, and 20mm, 22mm, 22mm adjust., 24mm, 24mm adjust., and 27mm adjust. for the Turbo Models.

Having a bigger bar in the front promotes understeer, the action of the car pushing towards the outside of a corner. This is how they come from the factory because it's safer. Having a bigger bar in the rear promotes oversteer, the action of the car being more loose in the rear-end. Think of a Rear-Wheel Driver car being 'tail-happy'.

It's all a matter of personal preference how you want your car to handle, I personally have mine setup more neutral. I have 20mm Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars.

If I missed anything, or any helpful info, hopefully someone can chime in, I'm typing all this info in a hurry :p.

Now that I think about it, all of the above doesn't mean as much as getting a nice decent set of tires and wheels. That made a huge difference in the feel of the car for me more than my Suspension bits. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's are great, Nitto NT555's, NT05R's, NT01's, Yokohama AD08's, tires like that. Not much of a life in them, but fun.

Archived