LegacyGT.com

Brake lines - Best solution?

papp101

So I don't track, and I've never done an autox. My brakes are mushy still after numerous bleeds.

I see some flex in my brake lines that have 105k miles on them, and i'd like to get some replacements.

What is the cheapest steel brake line package anyone's seen?

And if i'm not going to be flogging my baby, I've heard that the stock lines should be fine. Should I just go with a fresh set of regular brake lines, and does anyone have a recommendation for "good quality" standard brake lines?

I'll also do a full flush of ATE Blue fluid as well.

Thanks!

A full ATE Blue Fluid Flush is what I would do before doing any lines. What pads do you run on your car? Have you rebuilt your calipers?

As for SS lines, I'd get the Technafit lines from KNS Brakes, the LGT rears can be a PITA to install though. The price on those lines will be cheaper than buying the OEM lines.

-mike

Pads are Raybestos Advanced, Rotors are Centrics or Raybestos - I forget.

So would you recommend doing a Caliper Rebuild and fluid first? Or would I just be wasting fluid if I had to change the hoses as well?

When I had a friend help me bleed, I noticed the lines moving while he pumped so I'm wondering if my spongyness is not related to flex? Though I've never fully flushed the brake fluid.

Hawk Pads?

I'm just dumb on this one and really appreciate the input!

Ok, the pads are your first issue...

Raybestos is a generic pad, not a higher performance pad. So I would switch those out for Hawk HPS pads that will give you better bite.

By "moving" do you mean the lines were buldging or were they just moving from the pressure of the fluid moving in them? Buldging would be bad, movement from the depressing of the pedal isn't necessarily bad.

As for flushing, it's supposed to be done every 3 year or 30k miles so you should have done it at 3yr/30k miles on an 05 car already. A Full flush is definitely in order. What I would do is use ATE Superblue and then when the blue comes out you've gotten it through the whole system. Also what method are you using to flush/bleed? Unless you are using a power bleeder, the 2 man method is your best bet. Guy inside the car pumps up the brakes and holds. The guy at the wheel cracks the bleeder and when the guy in the car's foot hits the floor you close the bleeder. The inside guy then pumps up again. Keep doing this over and over til the blue fluid you put in the reservoir comes through.

I would do this all first before rebuilding the calipers. I bet that you would feel a remarkable difference after switching the pads and doing a full flush with ATE Superblue.

Feel free to e-mail/PM me if you have any questions.

-mike

Thanks a bunch mike. I think I'm going to buy the caliper seals a set of 4 speed bleeders so I can get it done without scheduling help and the wife is at class. I'll do the ate fluid after the seals, then feel it out for hoses.

I'll report back this week when I finish up.

Much appreciated!

Archived