LegacyGT.com

If my TPS is going out would it sometimes be faulty but work most of the time or just go all the way out?

At first I thought my fuel pump was going out or it had a clogged fuel filter but I think its my TPS. When I accelerate sometimes the rpms sharply drop and then flutter as I lose power. Then when I let go it just seems to drop to idle speed and then I floor it and it revs and I keep going...

I got TPS specs somewhere online, 4.7v at idle, 1.6 volts at wide open throttle. you can use a volt meter and some small wire to back probe the wires on the sensor, or just make a small puncture in the wire with the pointed voltmeter probe.(avoid this when you can) one is a reference votage of about 5 volts, and another is a signal voltage that returns to the ecm to tell it whats happening, and another is ground, dont rmember what the fourth wire is, but you'll figure it out. test it with the key on, engine off. hope that helps. by the way, like the datsun emblem, I got a pile of z cars, I love 'em, got the subi for when the snow starts flyin though....

Ok thanks but this may not help as it only freaks out sometime, but maybe it will still show up?

I currently have a 1984 Datsun 300zx Turbo. Its for sale so I can save for a 1970-1972 240z. I also used to have a 1983 Datsun 280zx. They are all a blast, I love Z's!

(sqc151) What if its not rough all the time? If I go out and start it up right now it runs fine. Sometimes like every few days I take off and if suddenly out of the blue acts like I took my foot off the gas. Then I floor it and that seems to make it go back to normal. Is this making sense?

(pjski) Lucky you. I really want a early 240z but I lack the money to afford one at this point.

Archived