LegacyGT.com

Fuel Pump - AGAIN!?

After one year on the last pump the 1993 Legacy L Wagon would not start so I installed a new strainer, fuel pump and relay today. The car started and ran fine for five minutes or so. I shut the car off and buttoned everything up - you know putting the dash panel on, etc. Now the car won't start and I have no fuel getting to the inline filter?

What causes the car to blow the fuel pump? Or is there another problem somewhere?:spin:

I wiggled the new relay - nothing. Accessed the wiring clip to the pump and pulled it off thinking I could test for power to the pump - then realized I had no idea which wires were which so I plugged it back in. For amusement I tried to start the car and it worked!

So now my question is: How can I ensure this connection stays good? The wires look okay - is there anything such as a conductive lubricant that I should put on the connections in the clip?

Thanks!:confused:

On another note the pump that I installed last year made a lot of noise when the ignition was on - very, very audible as compared to the factory pump. The pump I installed today is barely audible - in fact you cannot hear it from the driver seat and you have to place your ear very near the pump cover to hear it. This is nice but not sure if it speaks to the old pump failing or if the problem has only been in the wiring clip all along?

Clean it really good with something like brake cleaner or something like it. Then use dielectric grease. You may have to pull the wire pins out of the plastic plug and bend the tabs so they make a tighter contact. Or you could get a whole new pig tail from the dealer and replace the whole plug. You might be better off. Incase you break the the plug trying to get to fit tighter.

Archived