LegacyGT.com

Clutch and flywheel recommendations

coSTIgan-GT

Any reviews on the ACT heavy duty clutch? Is it any improvement for comfort over the stock one? I find the stock one so incredibly stiff and jerky

Hah well if you have never owned a car with an aftermarket clutch, lets just say you would be begging for a stock clutch after about two months if you find the stock clutch to be 'stiff and jerky'

On the search for a new DD...

I went with the ACT HDSS and Streetlight flywheel in 04+ sti fitment in my 08 Spec B. It pretty much sucked at first but between breaking it in and revisiting my requested torque tables I was able to make it drive nicely again. It's been about 2 weeks and I was regretting it a bit as it shuddered out of first and into 2nd everywhere but that has pretty much gone away.

Hah well if you have never owned a car with an aftermarket clutch, lets just say you would be begging for a stock clutch after about two months if you find the stock clutch to be 'stiff and jerky'

Haha yeah I guess that could be an issue. Are the stock clutches on the 05 Legacy GTs just a hard clutch? Like I've driven a few WRXs and the clutch is light and springy, not stiff like the Legacy's. It was recently replaced about 3000k ago as well. Original one felt about the same :confused:

Dont expect any clutch to last 30k with regular 5500rpm launches. But, my recommendation would be ACT with OEM single mass flywheel. You will regret a lightweight flywheel if you get it, especially if you enjoy launching your car.

I don't launch it that often. I've put probably 30 5500 rpm launches on the stock clutch since i bought the car at 37k. So I got around 44k of hard life on it since I started driving it. I still think I'm going with the exedy stage 1 though. I want it to feel close to stock with a little more grab. I don't want something too stiff and jerky, and the wife drives it once in a while. I've heard that sprung puck clutches don't last long and aren't street friendly. I did buy a 13.7lb flywheel. I may regret it, but I'd like to try it out. Worst case is I'll put a stock WRX flywheel in.

The bully clutch I had was awesome, not at all stiffer then stock (ACT is a bit stiffer) and I did maybe 100 launches on it.

Eventually 375 wtq killed it, now I will be running a stronger one, that takes larger leg muscles to push. it was n't really dead either, could still spin them on a launch, but would slip in cooler weather on alky if I went WOT at anything below 2300 rpm.

Dont expect any clutch to last 30k with regular 5500rpm launches. But, my recommendation would be ACT with OEM single mass flywheel. You will regret a lightweight flywheel if you get it, especially if you enjoy launching your car.

What's the problem with getting a lighter flywheel??

What's the problem with getting a lighter flywheel??

In general, more noise from the transmission, less drivability, less launchability.. I went with a flywheel that was 15lb vs the stock 28lbs and though I was regretting it at first, the combination of getting used to it, breaking it in and upping requested torque in the low throttle range made it about as easy to drive as it was stock.

Archived