LegacyGT.com

Please critique this deal

mele63

Base LGT, auto trans, auto dimming mirror/compass, security system upgrade, wheel locks.

MSRP: 28,092

sale price before sales tax 23,887

if I want the low APR, the price is 500 more.

thanks.

Critique: bad.

* get the manual (if possible) and save an additional 800-1000$

* auto dimming mirror/compass - your preference

* securty system upgrade - don't bother. i think it just adds shock/vibration sensors

* wheel locks - don't bother. get tuner style wheel looks for 1/2 the price and better design

* low apr is low apr. i shouldn't have to pay them to get a low apr

1. check kbb and edmunds TMV value for the average price of what people are paying

2. print both kbb and edmund values

3. check fitzmall.com and see if you can find what you're looking for

4. print fitzmall value

5. bring to your local dealership

6. tell them if they can't beat that price (tax tags etc. i.e. keys in your hand) you'll walk out

21k-21.5k? or 22k? dunno. play hard ball.

2k below invoice sounds pretty good to me. (does that include the destination?) Make sure they don't try to nickel and dime you with little fees. One dealer wanted 60 bucks for the full tank of fuel and 80 bucks for the floor mats. I had to chuckle when I told him he lost the sale over 140 bucks of BS...

Someone doesn't buy cars all that often. 22k for a $28k sticker... I love it when people just pull numbers out of a hat instead of basing them on any kind of reasoning.

Oh and fitz doesn't include tax or tags in their prices.. and they inflate the MSRP's to make it look like a better deal fairly often.

Low apr = backed by Subaru... you cannot combine it with the dealer cash incentive that Subaru is offering. That's SOA not the dealership so you can take it up with them. ;)

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.. especially if you've had a good experience with them and you know they'll take care of you in the long run. That's really what's the most important. There's a lot to buying a car that goes on AFTER the sale.

Are you guys really trying to drive down the resale value of these cars that badly? Geezus I'd be pissed if I owned one. It's bad enough I have to deal with people whoring out STi's and driving the value of mine down the toilet.

lol Not at all.. I just think it's funny :) If I can buy a new Legacy GT for 22k I'm going to offer you 19k for yours. That's depreciating pretty darn fast.

(Given.. it's not as bad as say a BMW 740 that loses about 30k in the first year.. but still lol)

It's funny how some people will grind the heck out of a dealer until they convince themselves that the dealer has made little or no profit on the actual car, then they will turn around and blow $2500 on a set of rims and tires. Or will blow $300 on a strut bar. Or $800 on an exhaust. Or $65 on an air filter. Or, $700 on a downpipe. Or, well, you get the idea.

It's like some people have a problem letting the people selling the cars make a profit off of them, but they have no problem letting the guys selling the unnecessary trinkets rob them blind.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, I just think its funny.

Yea.. and having wholesale accounts with Gruppe-S, etc I know how much money they make off those guys. If you work out the percentages it's scary how much markup those have compared to an actual car itself.

Car salesmen = whipping boys lol

Everyone has the mentality that sales folks are going to try to weasel every $ out of you and everyone knows there's some sort of markup on cars. It's just that joe public doesn't know what that number is.

I usually start off with an insanely low number because 1. I want to know if the sales person or dealership is willing to show me any of their books/numbers to prove why a car costs 30k or whatever price (I've heard some really good ones), 2. I want to know if those figures are all consistant for each dealerships I go to and 3. I'm not going to be some chump and have the sales person walk all over me. Because once the sales manager sees someone get up, they come running over, which happened to me. I realize that people/companies need to make money and I'd gladly pay for it as long as I didn't have to deal with the sales people. And because I don't know the "real" numbers as to the "marked up" numbers I see on the window, I have no idea where to start so I'll start with my interpretation of what "fair" is and adjust accordingly.

Fitz does increase their MSRP but I've noticed other places I went to also did the same. The weird thing was the increase was all different. I think one of the sales people told me it's effected by area and popularity of the car. True? Another unsolved mystery.

I had a huge list of stuff I wanted with my car and I ended up cancelling everything except the performance package. I almost walked out on my deal over 225$. I got the sales manager to yell at my sales person.

Mgr: "For the love of god, it's for freaking 225$, just sell them the damn car!"

Salesperson walks over

Sales: "I convinced the manager to come down another 225, it was tough but everything is a-o-k."

Me: "convinced huh? wow you're good"

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I thought the deal looked pretty good myself. I'm gonna be a member of this club soon.

Also will be leaving the Audi A4 club at the same time (but that's another thread).

Congrats, you'll love the car.

Almond: I love making money... but I don't need it enough to be treated like that. If you want to be treated with respect I would suggest you return the favor. I'll walk someone that's being a jerk anyday. There's always someone else out there that will love the car more and appreciate all the hard work I put into helping them out during and LONG after the sale. Every customer of mine has my personal cell phone and an invitation to call at any time. Most of them have become friends over the past year and it's not because I gave them the best deal in the universe ;)

I'm with you 100% but not all sales people are created the same. My guy ended up putting a guilt trip on me because I wanted to bail out for lunch. He told me that "well if you leave now, you'll have the most expensive lunch ever".

Something about giving respect before receiving respect.

When I bought my honda, the guy was up front and didn't pull anything. I bought my car in 10 minutes after walking in. This guy ... noooot so much.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I thought the deal looked pretty good myself. I'm gonna be a member of this club soon.

Also will be leaving the Audi A4 club at the same time (but that's another thread).

YOU WON'T BE SORRY...I've been smiling for 2 plus weeks now :D :D :D

Bah... any trained salesman knows how to handle the "I need to get some food thing" ;)

*reaches in pocket and grabs $5*

"Great! I haven't had a chance to get away for anything to eat yet.. bring me back a hamburger and we'll pick up where we left off when you get back. Thanks!"

Works every time =)

It's funny how some people will grind the heck out of a dealer until they convince themselves that the dealer has made little or no profit on the actual car, then they will turn around and blow $2500 on a set of rims and tires. Or will blow $300 on a strut bar. Or $800 on an exhaust. Or $65 on an air filter. Or, $700 on a downpipe. Or, well, you get the idea.

It's like some people have a problem letting the people selling the cars make a profit off of them, but they have no problem letting the guys selling the unnecessary trinkets rob them blind.

i paid about $1000 over invoice last august thinking that i would receive good after-sales experience and guess what? i still have not received the refund of the extended warranty from my previous subaru (i already wrote to SOA but they told me to talk to the sales manager)! i asked them to replace ONE non-working wiper blade but they suggested me to buy a better one myself, while another dealer just replaced it w/o saying a single word!

don't blame us the buyers, blame the bad dealers! :rolleyes:

This Space For Rent

Any dealership can refund your extended warranty... Find one that doesn't suck and talk to their business manager or finance manager (same thing really) Generally the finance people and NOT the sales manager handle that kind of thing.

i am not sure how much i am gonna get back if i go to another dealer... that extended warranty expires this july. since my dealer screwed up they should give my what i would have gotten last august, and that's why i am going to try them first, when i am done with final exams next week.

thanks for the info. :)

This Space For Rent

My sales guy is rock solid. Subaru service has been weak at times (denying my warranty when another Subaru dealer asked no questions). I think I got a great deal and I did not have to nickel and dime them for it.

I sold new/used cars for a while,I can relate. Ive been told that buying a car is the "last great american game" Cant think of too many other things we buy that we grind on the seller this hard.

I sold new/used cars for a while,I can relate. Ive been told that buying a car is the "last great american game" Cant think of too many other things we buy that we grind on the seller this hard.

it's funny....i can't think of other things that we buy that the buyer gets grinded on this hard either!!

GTSpeed, there is nothing wrong with the automatic. I would though HIGHLY recommend the following - auto dimming mirrors, heavy duty floor mats, security upgrade (this should also lower your insurance), and the subwoofer package (really brings the stock system to life - if you have a screw driver and patience to adjust the controls on the subwoofer until it is perfect).

As for the deal - sounds great, all of the above can be easily retrofitted to your car by the dealer. The options are only a couple a hundred dollars and really add to it.

- Mike

Archived