LegacyGT.com

Cheap EBay Bluetooth OBD2 / Torque Android Impressions

CDubbs

Couldn't resist for the price.

Connected via Torque application on my android phone (2.1, epic 4g).

Worked fine, no matter where I mounted my phone. It comes with no instructions, the pairing code is 1234.

The application is free (add supported) or about $5 USD. I have an accessport and a carPC already, but for $30 and a free app, the ability to easily read codes from my wifes and friends' vehicles seemed to be worth it.

Since I travel with the phone mounted anyway, I found the themes/skins were pretty good with the simple red or carbon fiber matching the 2005 gagues pretty well (there is some yellow text, but hey, they're built in themes).

If you are unfamiliar with the application you can read trouble codes with some translation built in (Honda/VW IIRC). Alternately it links you to the web for more information on a detected code.

The types of graphs you can add are Dial (gague), Graph (line graph), and Digital Display (readout numbers). Each come in three sizes and you can move them around one of your seven screens to swipe through.

On my samsung, 6 small readouts fit, 2 medium or 1 large.

It requires entering a few metrics for the accelerometer based stuff (estimated power output etc). The gagues also rotate with the phone orientation if you turn on the option.

You can log with it, with a shortcut in the program to email the logs somewhere in csv format right from the phone, use the GPS data to record your "track", set it to automatically upload to a web server, enable "hud mode" to reverse the image...

Anyway, if nothing else, it's an entertaining toy if you have a smartphone with Torque or a similar app.

The dev's site for this app...

http://ian-hawkins.com/?p=275

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the exact same one as above and can't get the thing work properly? I have a Samsung R880 Acclaim. My phone will find the device and pair via bluetooth but when I open the program it will not give any data? Anybody have similar issues?

I have since successfully used it in a 2004-ish jeep wrangler. Again, not a tin of data but it its at a minimum an entertaining novelty.

Using a galaxy s phone, android 2.1

To slick:

Anything regarding ecu traffic on the activity lights of the adaptor?

• 2 weeks later...
Never did. E-mailed the seller and they weren't much help. Wants me to connect it to my computer? Wasn't really interested in doing that but, I may give it a shot to see if it works. Not really interested in using my computer in the long haul though. I really liked the novelty of using my Android.

• 2 weeks later...
So where do I download this app? I don't see the DL anywhere :confused:

Ack sorry, haven't checked back ot this thread.

Search for "Torque" in the android market. May require version 2.1 as that is what I was running when I first installed it.

• 5 months later...
I just got this, also using the XiTech XR7 Bluetooth ELM, and it is awesome. The unit is small enough that it is completely tucked away, so it's pretty hard to knock with your foot. I've only putzed with it while stationary so far, but everything is working properly. Like previously said, first pair the unit with your phone using 1234, then make sure you select it in the app's settings. This beats using expensive (and prone to failure) gauges by a long shot! Will report back after using it on a drive.

• 9 months later...

Had intermittent connectivity issues on my generic device and got fed up with it. Gave it to a friend for strictly checking codes.

Ordered the ScanTool MX. They were kind enough to entertain a split payment option by emailing me a .pdf order form. I was able to put two Amex gift cards in the special instructions section with the balance I wanted charged and the remainder on my primary card. Emailed the reply at about 9AM with my completed form and it shipped priority mail same day (Wed) and arrived today (Friday) in Chicago.

The new device scans more codes much faster. Sorry I couldn't quantify that. Will post an update as it goes.

I am using a dell streak 7" tablet mounted in the cubby hole.

Archived