LegacyGT.com

Higher RPM - 5MT trouble into 4th

Bolksey85

It goes like this. If I run out 3rd gear and shift anywhere from 4k RPM-redline, now and then I'll have a tough time finding 4th. Not all the time, though. Sometimes I'll go for 4th and it'll pop right in. Other times, it will feel like 4th isn't there and it just hits the gate. This morning I tried it and by slightly moving the shifter to the right, it went in. But, using the same motion and direction at lower RPM, it's no problem. I have a Kartboy SS and bushings in it but on a stock clutch. I'm thinking of trying a heavier shift knob and seeing what that does. The way I figure, it would be a good excuse to buy a sexy Lathewerks knob.:lol:Any ideas?

Crap, wrong area. Someone move to trans section.

I was playing with it a little and it felt alright but I didn't run it super hard. I also tried to slightly reposition my arm and it seemed to be good. I'll search out some open road tomorrow and see if what it does. And I still want to try a different knob for the hell out of it and get it flushed with Extra-S again. Someone mentioned the 2nd time around is when you can really feel it. Otherwise, I might stop by the dealer and ask some questions.

Update: I think it just me being kinda lazy with the shifter. A couple of times today I ran it to about 4k-4500 and each time I concentrated on my hand placement and the direction I guided the stick. Each time it went without a hitch. I think before I had my hand on the side of the shifter and was pulling down and to the left forcing it to hit the gate. With my hand rotated and pulling directly back with the same force I always use, it was fine.

Archived