LegacyGT.com

control arm ball joint - how to tell if it's bad

SSpeed

I've been searching for most of the morning, here and on the web and I'm coming up blank... How can I definitively tell if the ball joint is bad in my control arm? I suspect that is part of my clunk...

Stockers were $48 at my local stealership, I saw the parts stores have them for $21... usually I always go OEM, but does it matter for a ball joint?

your best bet is paying attention to symptoms, and maybe a visual inspection. Some will say to check for radial/vertical play in the suspected wheel with it off the ground but I've found on a MacPherson setup like ours that usually doesn't work, unless maybe the joint is completely broken.

You could also try lifting the front and putting a prybar between the top of the LCA and steering knuckle to check for play, but honestly if you suspect it and it's been on there for a while your time is probably better spent just replacing it. I personally wouldn't cheap out on a ball joint.

I've had good luck putting the front end in the air (on jackstands, naturally) and getting a helper to push in and out (hard) at the bottom of the tire while I look closely at where the ball joint connects the upright and LCA. A ball joint that's really played out will have obvious uncontrolled motion.

Check rock auto dot com for parts; they'll usually have a variety of options at a variety of price points with a variety of warranties.

Archived