LegacyGT.com

Considering Buying a 97-02 Legacy GT

NGUSPEED

I'm considering purchasing a 97-02 Legacy GT. I'm looking to buy one with between 100k - 140k miles on it. I owned a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS a few years ago, but didnt keep it long enough to learn much about it.

What are common problems I should look for? Anything I should physically look for when inspecting the car (i.e.: oil leaking). I'm really searching for a 5spd manual, but automatic hasn't been completely ruled out.

Thanks!

really the main thing to look for at that millage in anything that has a 2.5 is if the head gaskets have been replaced. if they havent, expect to pay about $1k to have the work done. beyond that, just look for the usual wear and tear stuff (cv boots, tyres, brakes, etc) and you should be good.

really the main thing to look for at that millage in anything that has a 2.5 is if the head gaskets have been replaced. if they havent, expect to pay about $1k to have the work done. beyond that, just look for the usual wear and tear stuff (cv boots, tyres, brakes, etc) and you should be good.

Thanks for this information!

I found an '01 LGT with 126k miles locally and Im intersted in it. After speaking with the owner, I discovered that the headgasket was replaced about 15k miles ago and he claims he has the records documenting it.

How about the transmissions? Anything I should know about them?

Archived