LegacyGT.com

Fuel Filler Neck

Well ive been smelling gas for a while but couldnt find the culprit and today i finally did. The stupid plastic shield on the filler neck pipe had lots of dirt and it was soaked in gas. after cleaning it a bit i had 2 little pin holes where gas was leaking. temporarily i got 2 small screws, added a rubber washer to them, put rtv around the o-ring and screwed it into the pipe. Then i got a hose i cut in half and coated it on the inside with rtv, and clamped it to the pipe and then wrapped some alum tape around it. Ghetto as it is it seems to be working fine. Now my question is, do you think i can cut the pipe between the filler hole and the gas tank and add a hose instead?

lol, I actually patched mine with a piece of rubber hose and two hose clamps. (on my 1995 impreza)

I wanted to do the same with mine, but the problem was the tiny pinholes that were leaking fuel everywhere. Its fine at the moment and doesnt seem to be leaking, but ill check in the morning to be sure. I already also ordered one for 138 dollars shipped+tax(place is in my state, but an hour away.)

Totally unrelated, i got a misfire on cylinder 3 randomly, had a weird idle when cold and bucked when i was slowing down at a stop sign. Cleared the code and didnt come back afterwards. Need to check the coil+wires to make sure the greased connections are good and theres no oil on wires.

Unrelated question, what could be causing louder suspension on the right side? kind of like a thump, shock seems fine, front wheels dont wobble when the car is lifted so I dont think its a bearing. Sometimes feels like the front right tire is loose, but the lugs are torqued properly.

• 2 months later...

Hey Ya'll.

Just joined this forum this morning, since I recently purchased a 1997 Legacy 2.2 with 108k on her for $1100 I've had a couple small issues since i bought it. The fuel filler neck being the biggest pain in my neck.

Ya I just got out from underneath my 1997 2.2 Legacy after smelling massive amounts of gas after filling, Just as suspected it was my fuel filler pipe rusted out underneath the plastic cover. The leaks are barely pinholes so I dried everything up, cleaned it and sanded a little and just put on some JB Weld to see if it will act as a temporary fix until I can purchase the new or (new to me) fuel filler pipe. It still has 4 hours to dry so I will post back if this worked or not.

Archived