LegacyGT.com

05 LGT auto to 6mt swap

wrxtacy2003

I was told this can't be done because the auto trans communicates with other systems via CAN Bus, and if u swap a manual trans in and remove the TCU the car goes into limp mode and there's no way around it. This is what I was told. I'm trying to see if this is in fact true, so my question is can I swap an auto out of an 05 LGT and replace it with a 6mt. I know mechanically it can be done, but supposedly electronically it cannot. Can anyone verify this for me? Thanks!

I know of someone that swapped a 4eat in a forester to a 6mt. I'm pretty sure it was a wiring nightmare but it was done. I'm not sure if there is anything different with the two auto transmissions that would be easier than the other. I'm not a mechanic.

Anyone?? From what I've gathered by dissecting the FSM wiring diagrams, It can be done as the ECU only has a couple of inputs concerning trans stuff, and the CAN communication just bypasses the TCM on manual cars, so it seems as that would just be a quick re-wire around the TCM. I would need to make a clutch input and neutral switch input for the ECU, all of which are easy. It appears that all the wiring and CAN communication between the ECU and the ABS is the same between manual and auto cars, except that the TCM is again just bypassed on manual cars. But it also appears the actual ABS module is different between manual and auto cars, from what the manual says. The next problem I'm stuck at is that I would need a manual ECU, and I know with the immobilizer there is going to be an issue. I've heard that the subaru select scan tool will adjust the immobilizer for a new ECU, but I can see my self having a close to impossible time trying to convince a dealer that it is OK to put a manual ECU in an auto car. Let alone I heard its difficult to get them to even flash the immobilizer for a new ecu even if it is the auto one. If anyone has any input or knows of someone doing this swap please help me out. Thanks

Anyone?? From what I've gathered by dissecting the FSM wiring diagrams, It can be done as the ECU only has a couple of inputs concerning trans stuff, and the CAN communication just bypasses the TCM on manual cars, so it seems as that would just be a quick re-wire around the TCM. I would need to make a clutch input and neutral switch input for the ECU, all of which are easy. It appears that all the wiring and CAN communication between the ECU and the ABS is the same between manual and auto cars, except that the TCM is again just bypassed on manual cars. But it also appears the actual ABS module is different between manual and auto cars, from what the manual says. The next problem I'm stuck at is that I would need a manual ECU, and I know with the immobilizer there is going to be an issue. I've heard that the subaru select scan tool will adjust the immobilizer for a new ECU, but I can see my self having a close to impossible time trying to convince a dealer that it is OK to put a manual ECU in an auto car. Let alone I heard its difficult to get them to even flash the immobilizer for a new ecu even if it is the auto one. If anyone has any input or knows of someone doing this swap please help me out. Thanks

I think it would be way less work to buy a 5 speed and swap in a 6 speed. What's your reason for being so interested in this specific car that happens to be auto?

Oh, i know it would be less work for sure. But, I only want a white one. And i've been looking for two months now and I can't find one :(. All I've come across is this one. It located right by me, its cheap, and the exterior and interior are mint. The problem is that it is auto. The price and that it is mint, is the reason i'm so interested. The price increase that 5-spd lgt goes for essentially cancels out be having to buy a MT ecu, and maybe the abs unit, and things like the clutch pedal assembly and shit. If the car wasn't in mint condition, I would just let it go...but i can't.

I'm not worried about the mechanical part. I'm worried about the electrical part, but for the past week I have been studying the FSM and I think I have figured out electronically how to go from an auto to a manual. I will be starting the swap in the next month or so, so I will eventually start a how to thread, when I am finished and have worked out all the problems.

Archived