LegacyGT.com

hood chip and scratches

i was looking at the front end of my car today and i noticed a few scratches and chips. i don't tailgate or drive too fast. i was wondering what suggestions you guys have. i think i read somewhere about someone using a product to protect the front end and it wasn't a bug shield. i am currently thinking of getting the plastic bug sheild or whatever you call it.

I just figure if you have to ask what a clear bra is then it is safe to assume that you don't have the foggiest idea on how to install one. lol A DIY job by someone who doesn't know what they are doing is guaranteed to look like ass. Its worth it to take it to a pro. I know how its done and I could probably do it, but anytime you can have someone else do it just so if it gets screwed up at least someone else is to blame, then I say do it. :lol:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

has anyone gotten a bug shield and how does it look? does it look decent? or am i better off getting the clear bra? i am more into function of that product. with the bug shield, i would imagine it protects the whole hood because the tip of the shield is slanted up and it would direct the wind and debris over the hood and the debris would not touch it. do i have the right idea?

The bug shield is only going to help prevent damage on the edge of your hood. Its not going to do anything for the bumper. It does not protect the whole hood and there is no 'slanted up' part. Check out this thread for pictures of the install process of a bug shield as well as pictures. Nothing can protect your whole hood from rock chips. Not even a clear bra will do that. The majority of chips that I have on my hood are from above where the clear bra would protect it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I just had a clear bra put on the Sube (pix to come). The first time through, the installer did not wrap the front edges of the hood. There was about a 3/8" gap between the front edge of the hood and where the plastic started. Since the bra manufacturer expressly advertised that it was the only manufacturer to wrap exposed edges, I asked for it to be redone. The installer took one look at it and it was redone without question -- and they had to modify the manufacturer's pattern and recut the part from the stock. Otherwise, the installation was meticulous.

Having seen the work being done, I would never have attempted it myself. Let somebody else hassle with the plastic.

As OCDetails points out, the bumper is also covered, as are the A-pillars and about a four-inch area across the top of the windshield that's exposed. There's a thin layer on the leading edge of the turbo scoop, and on the fronts of the side mirrors. They also put a layer on the headlight covers. I was leery about that, but it doesn't seem to cut down on illumination or to have unfocused the beam in any way, and the plastic appears to stand up to the heat.

I debated asking them to put a layer on the pop-up portion of the moonroof, but I haven't had any bug hits on it, and it may be out of the way of all but the most egregious of gravel trucks; may have second thoughts, though.

All-in-all it will do what I want -- preserve the front of a car that gathered its first stone chip on the bumper within 2 days of leaving the dealer. But that comes at an asthetic price. As OCDetails pointed out in an earlier post, you can no longer lovingly wax that portion of the car. If what I had was a show car or a sometime-driver, I would not have gotten the bra; I'd prefer the seamless waxed and polished look. Since I have to drive the vehicle in an area of the country known for putting an excess of gravel on the roads in winter, I figured that a clear bra was the least of all evils.

BTW it's a white OB XT. If you're in the Reno NV area, PM me and I can give you the details of the installer, who I'd recommend.

3rd car i've had paint protection applied to the front end and leading edge of the hood. First time on a black car and am completely satisfied with the result. Obviously if you look close you will see the film but 95% of people don't know it's there. For the first week after i bought my car i avoided all freeways until i was able to have the film applied.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/urabus/subaru/wg4.jpg

Archived