LegacyGT.com

Help me decide on UHP A/S

Kaptan

My two top contenders are the top 2 tires listed on Consumer Reports,

the P Zero Nero and the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01. I have found a place that can do the P Zero's at $685 out the door, but they only have the H rated ones. The W rated ones are the model rated by consumer reports. They can do the Sumi's for $588 out the door.

My concerns are the H rated tires will not dissipate heat as fast as the W rated and the Sumi's don't have many online reviews.

I currently am running Falken ziex 912 in size 225 x 40 x 18 and have been fairly content besides having to increase tire pressure because of the soft sidewalls.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated;)

I've heard of people having balance/shimmy issues with the Pirelli's, some swear by them. Sumitomo I have no experience with so can't help you there.

My past purchases; Replaced OE's with Kumho ASX's. Great for the $$ but wore out quick (25,000 miles). Replaced those with Yokohoma Avid W4s. Still on the car and I hate them, stay away from these.

What are you looking for? Price? Comfort? Traction in foul weather? What is your driving style and conditions (highway vs city)?

As far as the speed rating I wouldn't be concerned. An H tire will be good for 130 mph, you need more than that? Remember that there are temp, traction and treadwear ratings on every passenger car tire sole in the US.

I've heard that too about the Pirelli's, but supposedly this is a different tire than the P Zero Nero M & S so I'm not sure if the balancing issues are still there. Consumer Reports has this tire listed as #1 in their reviews of UHP A/S tires.

I want a nice balance between $$$ and performance. I drive more highway than city and tend to drive aggressive.

The reason I mentioned speed ratings was because I've read that the higher the speed rating, the better the grip and handling even at highway speeds (55-70mph).

The temp, traction, and treadwear ratings are similar between most in the W speed rating category.

Right now I'm leaning toward getting the Sumitomos since they seem to be a bargain with half decent performance. I'm just worried that they have a soft sidewall like the tires I currently have, Falken Ziex912.

I labor over decisions whenever I buy tires. I feel your pain.

The speed rating has little to do with traction. More about how well the tire will hold up at sustained speed. My next purchase will be at one of those chain stores that gives you a 30 day road test, you can trade them if you do not like it. Most of the squishy sidewall tires in these sizes are not XL rated (extra load). I think the XL rating has more substance to the sidewall, but makes a heavier tire and affects overall handling (more unsprung weight).

Honestly, I would give the Sumitomos a shot. The tire rack doesn't rate the Pirelli that high. I trust the tire rack over CR anyday, especially anything automotive.

Do some research on the tire rack for both tires before you pull the trigger. Keep posted on your decision and how you like them. I'm in the market for tires myself very soon. I do mostly commute to work and back, highway and back roads. Based on my previous experience with the Kumho I might try the new Extasa LX's. They are non directional (good for different rotation options) and I NEED a quiet, smooth tire more than all out cornering performance.

Archived