LegacyGT.com

TOB, could it be?

Woodstock

well my 08' 5mt is at 32k+ milage, and I am starting to hear rattling/ticking noise when car is in 1st and 2nd gear and neutral. It started a few weeks ago. I was wondering what could it be.

This morning after I parked the car and put it in neutral while the engine is still running I could still hear the rattling sound. I started to press the clutch in and the noise went away. I release the clutch and waited for a while to see if the noise will come back, as soon as I heard it again I began to press the clutch again and the ticking noise is gone. could it be the TOB?

I am on stock clutch. MODs are as Follows: stage 2 tune infamous, racerx fmic, invidia dp, greedy evo2 exhaust, aem cai and cobb sts

I also read this http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spec-stage-2-clutch-pack-and-lwfw-review-78095.html?t=78095&highlight=tob+fork. "The clutch fork return spring" however, is this be feasible on a stock clutch?

I appreciate the feedback. :)

could be. however, you MAY just need to tighten the pedal to give it some more tension. had to do that on my WRX.... but sounds like that is where the noise is coming from. try under the hood, pushing/pulling on the fork manually and see if it may be the fork making the noise.

aside from that, sounds like TOB

That's exactly how my TOB sounded when it first started going bad. 55k on my wagon, and I'm planning on doing the clutch within the next two weeks. The rattling will soon progress to squeaking and then quickly to a grinding/scratching sound as the TOB totally freezes up.

Normally if your TOB goes bad you should get a squealing when applied since that's when it's trying to spin.

I'm unfamiliar with how much load or slop there should be in the fork since I've never taken one of these apart before but I would think there shouldn't be any load otherwise your expecting the bearing to spin constantly. The TOB is designed to only spin when you have pressure applied to the pressure plate.

I checked mine yesterday and to my surprise, there is pre-load on the fork from the slave cylinder, Not something I'm used to seeing, at least not on a GM RWD setup...

So I can only think if you are getting a rattle then it could be that the fork does not have the proper pressure on it. I would check to see if the fork is movable when the car is just sitting there not running.

Archived