LegacyGT.com

Which Legacy for Us

hpfiend

Hey all-

My wife and I are looking for a sporty family sedan with enough room to carry up to two small children and all of their accessories. So far we have driven the Acura TL, Acura RL (both 2008's), Lincoln MKS (2009), a few 2008 Volvos (S60/S80/CX90), and a 2011 2.5 Legacy. We liked the feel of the legacy a lot and it looked like a lot of value for the price but we are concerned about the new CVT and felt like we needed more than the 170 hp. We also felt the handling was a tad soft and the brakes were overassisted. I did like the paddle shifters. It is 80-90% there and we feel with some more power it would make up for the brakes and slightly soft handling. Does that sound like the 3.6R?

We do not want a manual transmission for this car so that rules out the new GT and from a quick search it looks like finding an older auto GT with low mileage is pretty hard to do???- We both liked the TL and RL but they cost used about as much as the subies do new and dont have awd... I wonder if we could find a lightly used 3.6R...

We still need to drive a ford fusion sport.

Thanks!

Andrew

I'd give a look to the 3.6R. The 2.5i doesn't fit the class of vehicle you've been considering. The CVT is a fantastic transmission, but the car is just not nearly powerful enough to be considered "sporty". The 5EAT is a well proved, reliable transmission. The 3.6R will have similar, if not the same, suspension and brake feel, but the added power is well needed.

I thought the RL was ONLY available with SH-AWD?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'd give a look to the 3.6R. The 2.5i doesn't fit the class of vehicle you've been considering. The CVT is a fantastic transmission, but the car is just not nearly powerful enough to be considered "sporty". The 5EAT is a well proved, reliable transmission. The 3.6R will have similar, if not the same, suspension and brake feel, but the added power is well needed.

I thought the RL was ONLY available with SH-AWD?

I am sorry- you are correct... my wife prefers the TL and I the RL but as it will be primarily her car I was thinking of the TL and classified them both the same...

I'd give a hard look at the 3.6R, it's a pretty neat car.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You'll probably be happiest in a 3.6R or the older style 3.0R. The stock performance is very similar to the LGT. It lacks the upgrade potential of the LGT, but you won't have the maintenance worries of a turbo car.

You need to be aware that the older 2005-2009 style is a completely different car on the interior compared with the 2010+. Interior room wise the 2010 is huge compared with the previous generation, especially with regards to backseat room. I'm 6', and its a tight fit for anyone over 5'6" in the back-seat behind me. My good friend has a 2010 2.5i, and I can sit in his back seat with also.

Other things to be aware of on the 2005-2009 body style. Folding rear seats were introduced in 2007, so you'll probably want to skip looking at 2005-2006 models.

Hey all-

My wife and I are looking for a sporty family sedan with enough room to carry up to two small children and all of their accessories. So far we have driven the Acura TL, Acura RL (both 2008's), Lincoln MKS (2009), a few 2008 Volvos (S60/S80/CX90), and a 2011 2.5 Legacy. We liked the feel of the legacy a lot and it looked like a lot of value for the price but we are concerned about the new CVT and felt like we needed more than the 170 hp. We also felt the handling was a tad soft and the brakes were overassisted. I did like the paddle shifters. It is 80-90% there and we feel with some more power it would make up for the brakes and slightly soft handling. Does that sound like the 3.6R?

We do not want a manual transmission for this car so that rules out the new GT and from a quick search it looks like finding an older auto GT with low mileage is pretty hard to do???- We both liked the TL and RL but they cost used about as much as the subies do new and dont have awd... I wonder if we could find a lightly used 3.6R...

We still need to drive a ford fusion sport.

Thanks!

Andrew

You won't like the Gen 4 car (2005 - 2009). It won't meet your roominess needs. It only has one more cubic foot of room than a Honda Civic. The current Legacy is 10 cubic feet larger.

You could wait till next year. I've read a few educated rumors that Subaru will be coming out with a direct injected 2.5i next year at the 190 hp point. And the CVT is an excellent, reliable transmission. They should be the perfect match.

Regards,

Pete

^Pete is a giant (no offence! its a compliment). If anyone has paid attention to interior room it is him. No joke, heed his advice if room is a concern.

I always seat a friends g/f behind me (i am 6') and a guy buddy behind the wife (5'2" in shoes hahah)

Archived